Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say a guy may have a year long work assignment in Edinburgh...

How realistic and spendy is it for an American to swing a fly for salmon. I imagine doing it on a weekly basis would cost an arm and a leg...

Would I have to wear tweed :Eyecrazy:

-sean

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
A year in the 'motherland'? I'd wade in a kilt for such an experience! Pretty cool...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You lucky dog! I know a fellow who was in Scottland for two years on a job assignment. He and his wife and kids loved it. He still talks about the atlantic salmon and sea trout fishing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
To hell with the kilt, I'd wade naked for such an experiance. :Eyecrazy:
Although I am sure they would throw me in the dungeons at the first sight of that!!!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sean,
Of course you would have to wear Tweed.
As for cost it can cost an arm and a leg or if you know where to look it can be remarkably cheap.
Ah springtime on Speyside................heaven

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
So for someone who may get to spend...

a couple weeks in Scotland, and would like to dip his toes (and his spey flies) into the holy waters, when would be the best time to schedule said trip? i.e. when are the runs the strongest? I may have the opp. to spend a long vacation (hey Sean, at least i won't be WORKING while i'm there!!! :chuckle: ) in England/Scotland, with one of the priorities being the swinging of lies in the River Spey, among others... any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sean,

There are parts of river that we call association water in Scotland. These are usually stretches owned by angling clubs or associations. If you are going to be in Scotland for a year, you could enquire about membership to one of these associations for one season. Some have waiting lists, others do not.

Some of these association stretches offer tremendous fishing for the money(usually £50 - £200) per year. The downside of it all is that, when the fish are there they will be busy; not as a rule but in general.

If you like more secluded and private fishing you have to pay a bit more. Often the very top beats are let well in advance and a minimum of a week must be booked. However, good fishing can be had on day tickets provided you get the correct conditions.

My advice would be to try and get a membership to a fishing club or association for your bread and butter fishing. You can then periodically treat yourself to fishing more private, productive beats.

Extended searching on the net should provide you with details of clubs, associations and private beats. I don't know if I'm allowed to supply details of these associations on this site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately in Scotland if you want guaranteed fish (as near as you can get to it anyway) you will need to pay quite serious money for it and the chances are on the frontline rivers it will be booked up already.

So as Gary says, your best bet are the association waters or try out a week outside the main spring, grilse and autumn runs. I'll plug the Spey here, its a beautiful river to cast a fly on and if you view catching a fish as a bit of a bonus the fishing experience won't disappoint, quite frankly for the fly, the spey is the best there is.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Look at the Fish Scotland www. fishscotland.co.uk sites. Beats with fishing left, often put the odd days on the web. Fish Dee Tweed and Tay are already running well. I have the job of organising www. fishspey.co.uk and this should launch before the end of this month.

Sean if you do come over PM me and I'll find some fishing for you.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Tight lines over there,

I'm certain that some of the gents from across the pond will be of help introducing you towards the right people.
My bride & I honeymooned in Scotland in 1998, and she made arrangements for us to have a day on the Dee. She contacted our hotel ahead of time (which was more of an Inn). They set it up with a local guide who provided transportation, tackle, and even waders & wetskins. They might be a good source for you also.
As I recall, the rates were comparable to Gaspe Quebec wading costs.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've done some looking on the www.fishscotland.co.uk site (awesome) and was wondering if I could get a question answered about the spring fish. Are these bright fish or are they referring to black salmon (the previous years spawners)? My experience with very early spring fishing is in Gaspe and it's predominantly black salmon with a few early bright fish mixed in. The descriptions of the Tay and Dee fishing sound more like these are all fresh fish.

Thanks.

-Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wilson,

The fresh fish we call springers, last years spawned fish are called kelts. It is illegal to deliberately kill a kelt in Scotland.

It would be the springers you are targeting, but you would probably catch both.

In Scotland, the spring fish is the most desirable prize for most anglers as they are usually the best conditioned fish of the season.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sean,Cumbrian Derwent

Not that far from Edinburgh and very fairly priced ,perhaps you might join the Lord Geoff,Mad chef and myself for a 3 day trip late september/early October ???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts