Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ASF Sustaining Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be accompanying my wife to a professional conference in Edinburgh next March. Of course, I'd love to do some fishing while there, but have a feeling (based upon faint memories of late winter in England as a child) that I'm going to be there a) at the wrong time, or b) out of season for salmon and/or sea trout. I'd really appreciate some comments on this from those with experience. TIA!

·
Registered
886 Posts
You will be there at a good time for either the Spey or the Dee amongst others.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
The Dee in particular will be good, & there is better access to decent beats via Fishpal than on the Spey where the better beats are harder to get on [& more expensive].
The Lower/ Lower middle Tweed can also fish reasonably well if you can get on the right beats at this time - again have a look on Fishpal & divide beat catches by rod numbers to compare like for like.
Personally I'd choose the Middle & lower [but not the bottom beats] Dee; the scenary is also very nice & it's lovely water to fish. Even if the Springers are few & far between there should be some kelts around so remember your forceps for unhooking to facilitate a quick release [& avoid chewed fingers].

Good luck, Tyke.

·
ASF Sustaining Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both; we should know for certain whether we're making the trip later this year. Is there an approximate range that I should anticipate paying for a day's fishing (not including the guide). I realize that the cost will vary between rivers and sections within rivers, but wanted to ask anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The fishing on the Spey and Dee will be in the £50 to £150 price range at that time of the year depending on the beat. There is access to many beats on the Spey, you just have to book directly through the estates rather than on FishPal. Why not have a day or two on each, just for variety.

·
ASF Sustaining Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you; this gives me a good idea. I may, indeed, do a couple of days, but would probably limit it to one on the Spey (for the sake of being able to say that I have fished it) and one on another, to be determined.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Factor in that there is no guide to pay, you will tip the gillie as you consider appropriate, but he is employed by the estate/ beat & so his wages are included in the price of the fishing. The tip will reflect how you feel you have been treated, if he makes you welcome, spends time with you & gives good advice [A lunch time cup of coffee doesn't go amiss either!] then tip accordingly; if he's surly, uncommunicative & spends all day in the hut in front of the stove having given a vague wave at one of the pools saying ''yer fishing there...'' then again... tip accordingly. It shouldn't be based on the catches as this is beyond his control, but the effort he puts in is the important consideration; if it's one gillie on a 4 rod beat & he's done a decent job then I feel £20 per day is plenty per rod, but if you are in a boat with him on the oars for long periods then it's fair to up this a bit to reflect the effort; if there is a boat & it would be the best course in the conditions but he can't be bothered to use it then give him a hand shake at the end of the day with an empty palm - next time he may make the effort.
Price-wise, the range you were given is about right, you will certainly find some pretty decent Dee or Tweed beats in the £70 - £100 per day range at this time, but if you have confirmed your visit book as early as possible as the best 'buys' always get snapped up first.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts