Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I remember a long intense discussion a while back about favorite libations. I have recently been enjoying a bottle of Macallan 12yr (that I snuck out and bought and hide in the basement and sip while my wife wonders where I am :lildevl: ) and was wondering if I could get some advice on other brands that would be worth trying. I want to keep it under $100.
Also I purchased a flask in Kyrgystan (yes that Kyrgystan) and I put some scotch in it for a fishing trip and when I went to have some it was grey, I took a sip and it tasted fine but I was hesitant to drink any more. Needless to say I wasted a good amount...argh! Is there anything you need to do with a flask to prepare it for use? I figured the former Soviets would know a thing or two about flasks but now I wonder.
Anyway hope everyone has a great holiday.
Birdog

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scotch

You picked a sherry cast scotch, which in general don't have the peat and smoke characteristics of the higher end scotches. The next step is Highland Park, which has less sherry and a little peat and smoke. Then when you get used to that get some Laphroaig or Lagavulin. If you are drinking them neat remember to add just a tiny bit of really good water like evian.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Scotch,,,as in Whisky,,,,sans "e"

There is a book called The World of Whiskey (with an "e") by Jim Murray. How this man could have possibly sampled all this stuff in one lifetime is amazing. Go directly to the section on Scotch and you will discover that the whiskys from different areas are known for their distinctly different character and tastes. Also some interesting history on some of the distilleries.

Also included are sections on Irish, Canadian, American, and even Japanese whiskeys. A good read. Highly recommended.

Welcome to the world of fine Single Malt. :lildevl:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Tomintoul 16yr. is about one of the mildest and smoothest I’ve ever had. Oban is about the middle of the road and very good! Lagavulin is strong and heavy on the peat but also very good. I had one the other day called Tobermory. Only 10 years old and cheap (or should I say inexpensive) but very smooth and good.

The thing that sucks is these guys have all given you great advice. Now you just have to find the time and money to try them all.

Good luck, Charlie

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Mmmmmm....

McCallan........Thats probably the best scotch I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

I am also very fond of Dalwhinnie.....allthough I have never seen it in the states to buy it. I see it occasionally at higher end bars / restraunts. I have never seen it in a store for purchase though.

A Story - When I was stationed in Germany I used to hang out at an Irish Pub, owned by a Irish dude named Gordon. Really cool fellow. Anyhow, they had this really pretty rack / display gig with 7 bottles in it. It represented the finest Scotch from the 7 oldest and best producing regions. Of Course, Dalwhinnie was at the top, and in the middle. I cant remember any of the other names that were contained in that display - allthough I sampled them all quite regularly (read: Nightly) while I was stationed in that wonderful country. When I was leaving Europe and heading back to the U.S., I stopped at the duty free shop in Frankfurt Intl. (at the time I remembered all the names). I was going to bring those 7 bottles home.......but just couldnt justify the money. It would have been quite painful to the wallet. To this day, the only one I remember is Dalwhinnie and its a favorite. I love that little hint of honey. Yum

Someone will probably jump my $H*T for this one, but Jameson 1780 (Which I have NEVER seen in the States was quite good. I cant recall if thats a scotch or not......but I remember it being quite pleasant as well. I gotta finish this as I am salivating on my keyboard......

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
A few years ago as we were headed up to the Skeena country, we stopped at the duty free shop to stock up. One of the guys was new to single malts and asked if he could get one with "training wheels". I suggested Dalwhinnie. Another guy got Oban and I picked up my liter of Lagavulin. To this day, every fall Ray will call and say not to worry, he is bringing a bottle of training wheels.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Although it is not single malt, Johnnie Walker Blue is one of the most amazing drinks I've had. It's probably been three or four years since I've tasted it but it was incredible. I think a bottle goes for close to $$200 :lildevl: .

Gillie

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
www.royalmilewhiskies.com

Evening lads.
Funny I should find this thread as i am enjoying a glass or two of Oban as I type. Tops on my list!! There is a shop in Edinburgh, www.royalmilewhiskies.com that would be a good source. Mum-in-law brought back several samples for me but the Oban was hard to top. For the fishing friends and wives night at my house it is usually alot of J&B or 12-15yr Macallan. But there is always a sample of 18yr Glenlivet.
A good meat-and-potatoes scotch is Glenfiddich,,,very nice in my opinion.
Ahhhh scotch,,, what a great topic!
Hardy Guy
><)))*>

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Scotch

It's sort of funny, to me anyway, that my first post on this site is about single-malt Scotch. Well, here goes:

I enjoy 15-year Springbank when I get the chance. I have to say, from the Speyside malts, I enjoy the Balvenie Single Barrel, Balvenie 12-year Doublewood, and just about any Glenfarclas malt. Oh, I can't leave out Macallan.

I have found Michael Jackson's book to be very helpful. The title of his book is Complete Guide to Single-Malt Scotch: The Connoisseur's Guide to the Single Malt Whiskies of Scotland.

Anyway, some day I hope to post some fishing knowledge. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.