Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fish Scierra MPA( 13'2" 8/9) or HMSv2 (13', 8/9)?
How Scierra rods compare to Loop Grey line ( recovery speed, how deep a rod loads/bends, etc.)

Salmo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Salmo,
I now fish a 13'7" HMS v2 #9/10 and I can strongly recommend the rod. Last year I fished the HMS 13'1" #8/9 and loved the rod but it was just a bit light in the wind and it took good timing to cast beyond about 25 metres.

In comparison the HMS v2 is to my mind a stiffer blank with more of a progressive action but if anything a bit too powerful.

I have also just acquired a Scierra HMSv2 11'2" #7/8 and am using a cut down DT#11 to make a shooting head. It is such a pleasure to fish with. With it I can catch salmon under my feet in complex pools and yet cast 25 yds with ease (I had to wait some time for the rod and the MWF or PWF lines couldn't be got but then the season is just about finished here in Ireland).

Haven't tried the MPAs. I stick with the HMS because Hemrick Mortensen is one of my fishing heros!

Are you using the Underhand cast? If not work hard to acquire it as it makes all the difference with these rods. It allows one to fish short or long with ease (I have seen so many bad videos of the so called experts demonstrating the Underhand ... unless you are pushing the lower hand out on the back cast, anchoring a long leader only, stopping the upperhand quite high on the forward cast and pulling the underhand, you are not getting the true benefits of these rods)

Can't understand why these rods are not big sellers; I sold my Sages in favour of these!

Regards

Don

G

·
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I have a 2006 Scierra catalog in my hand and the HMS double-handed rods are no longer listed. The single-handed rods were there and the copy said they had been "improved" with a new resin. Also, Henrik was at the Svendsen Sports/Scierra booth at the Denver show a few weeks ago. I haven't checked their website recently, but I wonder whether the HMS double-handed rods are still available.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Alive and Well

The V2 rods are amazing. The Blue blanks were great but this is a real improvement. Besides the weight. The bottom ends load easier and the tip are as fast as lightning. Instant recovery and laser beam loops.

The MPA loads a touch easier and the tip is not quite as quick. Still an fantastic rod. FOr Steelhead Winter fishing this year I mostly used the 8/9s and could throw 1 gram tubes with ease and full sunk heads.

G

·
So the new V2 double-handed rods must be so new they didn't make the 2006 catalog. The only V2 rods shown there are the single-handed models. It's good to know as I didn't check out their rods in Denver, just their reels. I'll have to check out their website again tonight. I just got back from Alaska so time has been tight. I'm not one to usually bring up my fishing results on internet forums, but I can't wipe the smile off my face after landing over 300 northern pike in ten days (almost all on a fly) in west central Alaska. It's one of the most incredible fisheries I've ever encountered.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
I don't get it.

I am looking at the SCIERRA 2006 catalogue.
In are MPA, HM3, HMSv2, HMS Scandinavian Saltwater, Pico, and EDP. Some of them must be missing page 11 for some reason.

Anyway I got em, you are welcome to try them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I cast the new v2 with Henrik on the Gaspé this past June, plus a new multi-piece prototype that I really hope makes it into production. I agree, the v2s are an improvement over the originals. And I think the lines are superb.

G

·
Jack, my copy of the Scierra 2006 catalog has the HMSv2 rods on page 7 and 8. It does not list the double-handed rods, however. Page 11 is a photo page facing the EDP rods. Anyway, I visited their website last night and, indeed, the new HMSv2 rods are listed there. I know that the HM3 rods use to list a multi-piece (six piece, I believe) so here's hoping that the HMSv2 will also have one eventually. By the way, my 2006 catalog doesn't mention the MPA rods, either. Maybe they had more than one version of the catalog? Mine came from the booth at the show, but maybe they had a few older versions mixed in.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Don't Know

You for sure have a different copy than mine. I got my box of 50 from Denmark a couple months ago. Maybe they ran out and were giving out what they could find.

One of the big things this year was the 6 piece 2 handed MPA rods, a two hander that almost fits in your pocket. By using so manu pieces Henrik is able to change materials in differnet sections to control the action. Something I had not thought of doing before. The action on the 6 piece is difeerent, a little, than the action of the 4 piece.

The HMS v2 was the other big release.

·
Registered
318 Posts
as some of you know I have ben fishing the Mortensen series scierra rods for four years and love them..one is 11'8 for 7/8 the other is 12 '4 for 8/9. I just returned from a famous BC river and the lighter rod was in my hands the whole trip and is wonderful for short shots and longer dry line deliveries as well. Could not be more pleased with a rod than I have been with both of these fwiw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Guys,

think of purchasing a Scierra MPA 13,3 ft #8/9, due to it's small length when packed. How would you call the action, is it comparable to a loomis glx (very fast), a loop blue line or Sage european style (fast), or a Sage traditional style (medium)?

I know the Scierra EDP twohanders and like them a lot, is the MPA softer?

Thanks,
Clemens

1 - 14 of 14 Posts