Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No answer yet, please! Still waiting. Again, anyone got experience with Scientific Anglers Ultimate Scandi?

Whammo!

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
They are wonderful lines, strong turn over, but extremely delicate touch down, the texturing allows them to be pulled from the water slightly easier than non-textured heads too which is pretty nice.

Not much else to say, well thought out lines basically designed by the guys at Fly Fish Europe with the aid of line designers at SA.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I fished the floater and the F/H/I this summer and I was not overly impressed. Good lines, don't get me wrong but I have lines that i like more. There was something a bit off on the taper as it needed a lot of line speed to turnover nicely. With speed it flew a mile no doubt about that. They just did not fit my style of casting and fishing.

The sinking models on the other hand have been excellent! Extremely nice lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been fishing the 460 F/I/2 for a few weeks. It casts great and sinks a bit, but not deep: probably no more than a foot deep in the typical summer steelhead runs I fish. The UST comes in ten or more configurations per line weight though, so there's not much I can say about the whole series. If you're in the market for a multi-density sinking scandi, I say buy one, and then tell us what you think.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are these available online anywhere yet? Most of my local fly shops carry Rio or Airflo and I haven't gotten a chance to try them yet.

·
Carp aficionado
1,234 Posts
How do these lines differ from the Guideline Triple D's ??

Mike
Biggest difference is it will be easy for Americans to buy them. I've spent a couple hours with the 460 F/I/S2 and it was a great match on the rod I used. I ran about 10ft of 9lb flouro straight off the line and it had no problem turning over a substantial bunny leech. I plan to try it with a sinking versileader next to see if it can reach better depths. Surprisingly, I think the texture may actually help it pull out of the water as Kory said. You can really hear a difference when the line is in the guides.

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
How do these lines differ from the Guideline Triple D's ??

Mike
As others have said, they would be more comparable to Guidelines "Scandi" lines than the 3D heads...

They are pretty long, which aids in long distance casting as it improves their flight capabilities, I know one of the major focus points was producing a line that hit the water very softly. I think a more compact head would be better accepted in the North American market, but no doubt, lot of people will love these lines...

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you consider them to be long? Sure, they are not super short, but I could never call them long. They are pretty much the average length of heads that people here in Scandinavia use when fishing with shooting heads.
The majority of heads used here on the water I fish, would typically be shorter as we are typically fishing bigger/heavier flies than you guys would and the shorter heavier heads work better for that.

We also fish from a boat a lot here and the shorter heads are a little nicer for that...

This is not to say the UST heads are too long or all guys will feel the way I will, just a generalization of what I have experienced. I have been fishing them for over a year now and they are great lines, just not always the best tool for the job on the waters I fish...

In a nutshell, from what I have seen over the years, most guys go shorter here than many of you Scandinavian guys do. Different water and different fish...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you consider them to be long? Sure, they are not super short, but I could never call them long. They are pretty much the average length of heads that people here in Scandinavia use when fishing with shooting heads.

I would asume he conpares them to skagit heads and in that relation they are pretty long. I would never use them on a rod longer than 14 foot. Too short:) i use the GL Scandi on 12,6 and 13 footers.

Sjekk ut bloggen min: www.urbanflyfisher.net

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
If you say so... My skagit setup is 9,7 meters and i would sa 11,9 in relation is pretty long

Sjekk ut bloggen min: www.urbanflyfisher.net
Well of course in relation to skagit heads they are long, but what I was getting at is, that was not the basis for my statement. I wasn't comparing them to skagit heads, I was comparing them to most "scandi" heads I have seen used here is all. :)

Maybe we are using our so called scandi heads more like skagit heads here lol :chuckle:

Anyway, off to the river, take care!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts