Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and some friends were fishing the Kalama yesterday and towards the end of the day we ended at the Modrow bridge. There, we witnessed an amazing spey caster. We met and recieved schooling from Mr. Steve Choate. WOW!!!! :Eyecrazy: How excited were we to meet him, it was like meeting Mickey Mantle!!. He is a SUPER nice guy and just an unbelievable caster. He worked with myself and my buddy Jay for quite a while. He stopped practicing to give us guidance. WOW!!!

There were steelhead boiling everywhere, but all we wanted to do was learn more about spey casting. :eek: :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
LoopHiTech:

"There were steelhead boiling everywhere, but all we wanted to do was learn more about spey casting. "

This is a sure sign that of that infectious disease which many of us get with Spey Rods.

Another sign: I can see the fish working and striking out there @ about 50 -60 feet. That is just perfect for my 6126 and MS 7/8 line. However, there is a seam with no activity out there at 80 to 90', which is perfect to cast my ARC 1409 and my GS 7/8 to.

Caddy, please hand me my ARC with the GS 7/8 and take back my 6126 and M/S 7/8. Please strip the GS 7/8 out to the color change on the reel and add 6 more feet.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was crazy! I tried to cast with Steve watching and it all went to heck in a handbasket. So, needless to say it is back to the casting pool!!

It was a fishless day so what else were we going to do, look at each other? hehehe

I like the caddy with the spey "clubs." Too funny.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
To: LoopHiTech:

"I like the caddy with the spey "clubs." Too funny."

That came from my trophy wife who laughs at all the spey/two handed rods we take on our annual Rogue/Chetco outing. This past week I had my Meise Surf Rod and 7141 with big reels and saltwater lines in the double case and my Sage 6126 in its single case on the floor in the back hallway by the door for loading the next day. Of course, my wader bag and backpack was there too.

She came home and saw the two rod cases and the gear and her comment, "You are going to have hire a Spey Caddy to carry all of this stuff for you and to hand you the correct rod, reel and line."

I told her that it was a good ideal, and that if she ever fully retired, I would hire her as my Spey Caddy. She didn't say no!

·
Registered
6 Posts
rarley will i meet again such a nice guy such as steve. its funny how a pro like him will stop and help begginer such as my self. luckily every thing i have practiced dissapered as soon as he said," alright cast it out and lets see where you are" i was a embaressment to my country.( as is my spellin)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts