Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new hover powertaper I am thinking about fishing tomorrow and was curious how other guys rig up the line. Seems using a poly leader is pretty standard practice. Is something like a 10' hover poly leader an intrigal part of the system or will 4-5' of tippet work as well?. The rod is only 12' 6" in length so maybe the extra length of the poly leader is uneeded...

I only ask as I have not fished this line or done any true scando fishing yet so I am kinda going blind and hoping the spey recs from loomis bail me out.

-sean

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Setup

The first month I used the PowerTaper heads I did not use a polyleader. At Leifs suggestion I started using 2-4m of polyleader which was one density heavier than the belly. With a Hover I might just use the intermediate poly. The energy absorbing qualities of the polyleader really smooth out the end of the turnover. Before that it would straighten out and then pop back towards me like an inchworm on steroids! With the poly it just settles down nicely. I have cut at least 2 meters off the tapers when using a 14' rod and 3-4 meters off when using a 12'6. Look at the weight when as you cut and make sure you have enough grains. With most of my sinking stuff for the 12'6 I have gone up a line weight so I can cut them way back. I like about 9-10 meters with the 12'6. With my Loop 12'6 9/10 it is looking for about 500 grains so I just dial in the length plus the polyleader to 500gr.

With the floating line I have been told I should use a floating polyleader but since I don't yet have any I have been using a 9' furled Spey leader with 1 foot 12# and 2-3' 10# Maxima. I did not find that a straight mono leader worked on the floater. Maybe if we redesign it and beef up the butt sections to act more like a capacitor it would abosorb the energy better.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What I have found with these heads is that you create the front taper with the leader be it sinking or floating. I have tried long mono leaders but find the poly leaders as a base to work the best for me. You can taper the leaders to cast as pretty as a carron jetstream or you can taper them to cast big nasty intruder type flies with sinking poly leaders. I have the 10/11 hover and it will turn a large field mouse over with the correct leader. Hoping to get some lighter hover heads for this summers fishing with the lighter rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts