Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk on shooting lines...........

I am using Teeny LSL shooting lines (conventional 30 lb. 0.038 inch floating level flyline) at the moment. These kind of lines are marketed by many manufactors..........

The Scandinavians use a lot of monofilament and flat beam mono's.

So ordered some of this stuff, and got 3 types, from Guideline in Sweden this time.

They all have great names and specs, like:

Linkline Shooting Line (which is white, round, 50 lb. BS 0,6 mm high level floating and quite slick, with less memory, spool of 40 meters).

GS Line (which is light yellow, semi flat, very slick, a bit more memory, 55 lb. BS, about 0,30x0,60 mm, needing some grease to really float, spool of 35 meters).

Shooter, Ultra float Shooting Line (which is Orange, semi flat, slick, very good floating, same diameter as the GS, 50 lb. BS, spool of 30 m).

The prices of all spools are the same.

It is best to sretch those lines before use, to avoid toooooooo many tangles........

As for handling the old Shooting LSL (or similar) is best, for distances the mono's are far superior, adding at least 20-30 ft to a good cast if it doesn't tangle. The line mending is of course different with these mono's but the floating scandinavian head can be controled very well because these thin lines cut through currents very well, making it very easy to control the heads.

I know there might be a lot of thoughts on running lines or shooting lines, please share those insights.

Cheers, Gerald. :cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use Rio's powerflex .024 for my heads running line. I also use the Airflo running lines, trout and salmon in the floating and intermediate with factory loops. These are fatter PVC lines and offer a little more resistance in the guides so that the heavier heads will turn over. Never used any mono but if it was really thin, I'll bet you could whip it out there and not worry about the current pulling it downstream. I think another thing that is key to an uninhibited cast would be a decent basket where the fingers offer the most tangle free ejection as possible. But I've only been working this about a year. Still have much to learn. I've mutilated a lot of line, broke a few rods, bought scales that measure in grains, all in the name of shooting heads.

For shooting heads, I use big boy and aqualux heads with a few airflo shooting heads and I use the Loop adapted line for heads. I've really taken to using the Rio heads though. Some times I'll do the poor mans version of the Scandinavian shooting head. 30 foot windcutter upgrade alone with tips. My big boys are the 200, 300, 400, 500 grain and the aqualux 200, 300, 400, grain. I also use a little ten foot middle section that weighs 100 grains. So it runs running line, middle section and then maybe aqualux. I do this to bump up my 400 grain head to a 500 and instead of a 26 footer, it becomes a 36 footer. It seems to work best. I use this in the Salt and on the rivers. (Skagit, Sauk, Stilly, Skykomish, Sol Duc, Hoh etc.)

Glad to see this thread start up. Interested in what other people do for running line and stuff.

Matt

·
Registered
148 Posts
Being in the middle of Scandinavia, I know the brands and types you mentioned. Yes, different monofilaments really are popular here... But prices have gone up very much and I just could imagine the profit the companies make on a spool of 35 meters...

Please note that some of the types you mentioned is possible to get in different thinknesses. The Linkline, which is the type with the least memory problem, is available in different dimensions, and I only like the heaviest one for salmon. A drawback with many mono shooters are poor lifelenght - especially so the Linkline. It easily get scares, kinks etc.

I guess it has been on these pages before but if not please note that you can reduce memory problem by stretching the lines after you have had them in some medium warm water. Then they stay straighter for a longer time.

My choice is an old fashioned shooting line, now I have used RIOs shooting line for two seasons. It gives better head and fly control, and a casting that is more like fly line casting and less like spoon casting :hehe: Casting lenght is seldom a problem with these setups.

Please note that there also are other solutions here in Scandinaiva, for istance special braided shooting lines. Other brands than Guideline is delivering similar products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guidelines linkline really suck! It is the worst possible choise when considering the line memory.

To my nowledge the best mono shooting lines is: The original Ken Sawada flat beem, Vision shooting line, (and maybe rio slick shooter as well?). All of these lines should be in the homogenus intermediate version, NOT the floating since they are wery sensitive to kinks.

In my experience streching the mono shooting line doesnt help much, so i never do that. Instead you should soak the line in water for one hour or so. The difference will be enourmous. You dont have to do this if you use the line often (2-3 days a week). Rinsing the whole reel in water at home and then putting it in a plastic bag (to keep moisture) on the way to the river will be enough in most cases.
These types of shootinglines does not work well in temperatures below 5 degrees celsius.

//BB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts