Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cast the Scandinavian shooting heads on the Sage 7136? Just curious to hear a little feed back. Need something to occupy my mind over the holidays, it's too cold to fish. Seems like for some of my fishing I could put them to use, but I'm wondering if they Spey cast decently.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I truly enjoy this rod for casting a longer line, and I too was wondering if I could outfit it with shorter sinking heads to work for short casts on smaller winter rivers.

I made a head consisting of WF11 (24') + tips (15'). That's about 430 grains over 39'. For comparison, the RIO Scan 7/8 head is about 450 grains at 38'.

My creation will cast on the 7136, but not so well. Its a mushy combination. I'd also be curious if others have found anything to work for fast sinking shooting heads on this rod.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have an old 7136 brownie and I had to consciously make an effort to keep my stroke smooth and slow - even with a long belly line, otherwise tailing loops were the order of the day. I imagine the short compact movements associated with the "traditional" Scandinavian underhand cast would not go well with a soft rod and shooting head.

However, I bet using the Skagit style of casting would work just fine with a Scandinavian head and the 7136. The waterload and continual gentle stroke of the Skagit cast is best done with a slower action rod - this certainly describes the action of the 7136!

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess that is why we have a billion rods to choose from, they all don't do everything. The 7136 is a great light rod when not leaned on too hard and I didn't buy it to throw sink tips. It does what I need it to do most of the time. I'll keep plodding along, and maybe get a cannon 7 weight one day as a change of pace for heads and tips. Before then I need a nine wt and a ten and who knows what else. :hehe: Thank goodness for hobbies on cold winter days!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another option to consider, and it works quite well..

with the 7136 are the sinking poly leaders. You can get them in several weights and lengths of (memory here) 5,7,10 and? 12 foot.

Due to their thin profile they load the rod very well without adding much at all in grains. The thin profile sinks like a rock; these are usually my 'tips of choice' in low(er) water conditions, summer or winter.

If you need more sink power, use a weighted fly with these.
fae

1 - 5 of 5 Posts