Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been casting my 450 gr Rio scandi s4 with versi leaders for a decent while now, it seems to be really good unless I'm trying to turn weighted or fleas or larger variety. I have not tried a level tip on it yet, wondering if anyone casts full sink Scandi with level tips, how it performs and its ability to turn dumbbell weighted intruders and or heavy brass tube fleas.

thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Generally a Scandi head should not be paired with level tips because Scandi tip is very light and it cause problem to line loop and lifting tip from D-loop anchor. But a Scandi body for tips can but IMO then it becomes a Skagit system.

You can cast brass tube fly with a Scandi head without tip using only long leader because relative heavy fly pulls leader straight without the aid of line loop when it has some speed when line loop advances to the beginning of the leader. A Scandi usually has enough mass to lift weighted tube from an anchor too. Use leader length and fly weight/drag combination to adjust the depth where fly fishes. Impossible to give "exact" formulas because conditions are different but from 9' to 20' leaders are what I have used.

Esa

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
It's about mass/ft of line. Hard to tell on a scandi due to the long taper. Maybe t8, but a 450 scandi is never going to carry the mass of a 450 skagit due to the difference in line profile/taper. My understanding that is the reason the folks originally developed the skagit- so they could toss huge flies without resorting to a 10 wt line system.

Scandi- small to moderate sized flies, dependent upon grain window
Skagit- large flies with heavy weight

Not a hard and fast rule, but general

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the S4 is part of Rio's Scandi Versi-tip System, it is intended to be used with tips as opposed to poly leaders. It should be around 23'. If so, it will handle T-14 to around 12 ft well, 10-15 ft tips very well. Keep in mind that it sinks at around 4ips, and the tip should sink equal or faster.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Are you using Scandi body 455 gr/23'. If so that body will handle 129 gr/15' tip very well or 10-11' around 100-110 gr.

For example on CFB 13'5" wt.9 , Int. 455 gr/23' + 129 gr 15' tip ( tapered in the front) cast well with just Single Spey and underhand cast.

2-3" lightly weighed Fox fly or Rhea Intruder gets a free flying lesson. I use only lightly weighed flies and let head/tip to sink the fly, be it Rio body+ tip or
Guideline triple density head.

If one chooses a heavier body, then it will feel and cast with water born cast like Skagit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts