Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Closets full of this n’ that.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might seem strange looking for recommendations for a scandi line for a ‘Pure Skagit’ rod. But I have one of these rods headed my way (11’6” #8). It’s fun, and sometimes efficient, to mix line systems up and I only carry one rod at a time.

I like the Rio Scandi versitip lines, anyone used something like that on this rod? Thinking grain weights around 350?

·
no expectations
66 Posts
The rio scandi short-versitip system is my favorite line. I have a similar rod (Pieroway Renegade 11’6” 8wt) that i use scandi heads on almost exclusively. The Rio system as well as the Scientific Anglers Spey-Lite Scandi are both a treat. 390 grain SA spey-lite scandi with a polyleader is my preferred setup on the 8wt Renegade. I use this setup almost exclusively in AK for large rainbow, dolly varden, and coho.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The head for the Rio Scandi Short Versitip and the Rio Scandi Verstip is the Scandi Body. It's a great head that is almost like a skagit. It's only 23 feet like a skagit, but it has a more delicate taper, hence the term scandi for it. It would be a great head on that rod. However, you should ignore the weight number designation for the head and just buy it in the grain weight you want. I tend to find it works best more toward the recommended skagit weight for a rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The head for the Rio Scandi Short Versitip and the Rio Scandi Verstip is the Scandi Body. It's a great head that is almost like a skagit. It's only 23 feet like a skagit, but it has a more delicate
The rio scandi short-versitip system is my favorite line. I have a similar rod (Pieroway Renegade 11’6” 8wt) that i use scandi heads on almost exclusively. The Rio system as well as the Scientific Anglers Spey-Lite Scandi are both a treat. 390 grain SA spey-lite scandi with a polyleader is my preferred setup on the 8wt Renegade. I use this setup almost exclusively in AK for large rainbow, dolly varden, and coho.
Thank you for your input, that’s helpful.

The head for the Rio Scandi Short Versitip and the Rio Scandi Verstip is the Scandi Body. It's a great head that is almost like a skagit. It's only 23 feet like a skagit, but it has a more delicate taper, hence the term scandi for it. It would be a great head on that rod. However, you should ignore the weight number designation for the head and just buy it in the grain weight you want. I tend to find it works best more toward the recommended skagit weight for a rod.
Thank you, yeah weight number designations is quite all over the place. Somewhere around 350 is probably nice.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use the 325 grain scandi body on my 11' 4 weight trout spey and I use the 400 grain for a 12' 5/6 switch, as well as for 12.5' 6 weight and 13' 6 weight spey rods.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thank you for your input, that’s helpful.

Thank you, yeah weight number designations is quite all over the place. Somewhere around 350 is probably nice.
I think you'll want the 500 or 540 grain scandi body, but I'm not totally familiar with the OPST rods. But, if it's an 8 weight switch, that's about right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you'll want the 500 or 540 grain scandi body, but I'm not totally familiar with the OPST rods. But, if it's an 8 weight switch, that's about right.
Haven’t tried it yet, just judging by their own recommendations, I have a bunch of lines to play around with once it arrives.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont have that rod, But I would start with a 375gr scandi body with a 15ft 8wt rio tip which weighs 110gr which will put the line at 485gr and should be good for T&G casting and if that feels light or heavy go down to 350gr or up to 400gr with 7wt or 8wt 15ft rio tips.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the opst rods are single hand line rated, or close to it.
I've found that I like the scandi body plus versitip weight close to my skagit head only weight.
I like a 325 grain scandi body & 7wt versitips (75 grn) on a 6128 that I like 425-450 skagit + 80-96 grain tips. 7wt body on a 6 wt spey works great for me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think the opst rods are single hand line rated, or close to it.
I've found that I like the scandi body plus versitip weight close to my skagit head only weight.
I like a 325 grain scandi body & 7wt versitips (75 grn) on a 6128 that I like 425-450 skagit + 80-96 grain tips. 7wt body on a 6 wt spey works great for me.
Wow...that sounds super light to me. I use the 325 on my winston BIII TH MS 4110 with 10' poly's and I use the 400 grain scandi body with 15' rio replacement tips on my sage mod 6130. I use the 400 grain scandi body with 10-14' poly leaders on my Winston 6126, and I think it would be fine with 10-15' rio replacement tips too. I also use the 400 grain scandi body with 10' versileaders on my NRX 12' "switch" 5/6.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,046 Posts
I have the rod and it throws 380 grain Gaelforce beautifully and a 325 Chucker even better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow...that sounds super light to me. I use the 325 on my winston BIII TH MS 4110 with 10' poly's and I use the 400 grain scandi body with 15' rio replacement tips on my sage mod 6130. I use the 400 grain scandi body with 10-14' poly leaders on my Winston 6126, and I think it would be fine with 10-15' rio replacement tips too. I also use the 400 grain scandi body with 10' versileaders on my NRX 12' "switch" 5/6.
It's actually a 350 grain scandi body, still sounds light, but I found it to be one of my favorite line combo's on that rod. It's got me trying other lighter than I usually reach for combos.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,046 Posts
I read and watched all the material on OPST's website regarding these rods and while it was a little vague, my take is this: the Commando heads, floating and intermediate expect you to add a sink tip of sort to the head. When you do so, the grain weight of the rig goes up, It is my belief the rods are rated for the Commando head including a tip. Thus the weight of other lines and these rods is not really equivalent to the normal way of thinking. They recommend a 375 grain Commando Groove and it works fine. So, silly me, I just subtracted 50 grains and started from there with Scandi heads and they worked. A heavier Scandi line might work even better, but I haven't tried one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's actually a 350 grain scandi body, still sounds light, but I found it to be one of my favorite line combo's on that rod. It's got me trying other lighter than I usually reach for combos.
I think I need to start trying lighter stuff to improve my casting to the next level. I know generally expert casters prefer lighter lines, so I need to get there. But, man, these weight set up lines bomb for me currently.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I suggest you try a Rio Short Scandi at 360 grains and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far they go. The key is the "Short" length of the head; the weight is concentrated in the first 15 to 20 feet and it pulls the rest of line out more efficiently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We call that Rio short a scandit line, easy to use for sure. Thank you everyone for all the input.

·
The Skeena in the fall
330 Posts
I‘ve been using a Rio Scandi Body with a 15’ sink tip on my 14’ rod on the Skeena this year.
i agree it is an excellent line, casts and fishes well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts