Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes them? I am in the northeast USA. I see Sci Ang does but nobody seems to have 400 grains. I don't even know if they manufacture 400 gr; their website says so but nobody has them.

Looking for 400 gr intermediate scandi head. Guidance is appreciated...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dr. Bob,

I have several of Steve Godshall's iScandi lines. I like them a lot for near surface fishing, they eliminate much of the line surfing in tricky currents and their increased density makes casting a pleasure. Steve's pricing for a custom cut line will surprise you.

Regards,
sixheads

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Search out or watch for RIO 6/7 AFS (now discontinued) Factory spec @ 400

Or you could get a Guideline 'trim to fit' version.. nice heads ~ precision tunable.

Many heads run 'fat' compared to factory specification. One manufacturer even has plus / minus 5% disclaimer in the fine print. When splitting hairs it's best to weigh each same labeled individual from rack selection or trim a custom cut to exact desired range.

SGS custom heads is a great option.. (good call sixheads)

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
A lot depends on what you mean by an "intermediate".

These range from "hover" or "neutral" lines (0.5 ips) that sink very slowly indeed & in a decent flow will fish around just in the top few inches of the water, to a fast intermediate (1.5 ips) which equals the old sink 1 ratings.

Add in the dual density, & now triple density, heads & the mix increases. I have been very impressed by the casting/ handling & fishing qualities of the triple density heads & would recommend you try a float/ hover/ intermediate if you want a slow to medium intermediate sink rate in the uncut Powertaper head - you can then trim this to weight, an #8/9 cut to 35 feet will give 400 grains. Or if you want a short head then a #9/10 cut to 31 ft 8 ins will give the same weight - but, as ever there are variations in manufacturing so always start over length & weigh, then trim back in small amounts until you get the right weight

If you want a faster sink rate there is the float/ intermediate/ sink 2 which having a faster tip will get your' fly down faster to start with but the slower mid section & floating butt will stop it going too deep.

If you want an ready to go head the Powertaper Scandi #7/8 float/ intermediate/ sink 1 sits in between the first two in terms of sink rate & comes in at 417 grains & 34.5 feet.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Good suggestions, guys.

Here's an out-of-box thought;
You could get a 350-360 gr Int Skagit head and add polys for a nice-casting, versatile multitip Skandit setup.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
That's where SA dropped the ball.. their Intermediate Skagit only goes down to 400gr :confused:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Scandi

Give Monty Ward with Vision a call, great guy to deal with and they have scandi's in any sink rate you could want. Another option is call the Guideline dealer in Canada, I think there on your side of the continent there good folks to work with.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,047 Posts
What's an LTS? I assume III is sink three?

Thanks.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,047 Posts
Nate I have never heard of these lines, so I just looked them up. Which line are you talking about? Is there any more you can tell me about these lines.

Thanks, Leo.

Just figured out which line it is, but please tell me more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts