Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with an intermediate scandi line for wet flies for summer sh. I know floating lines work, and they work well. My buddy has a wulf neutralizer and loves it for swinging soft hackles in the riffles & choppy water. I was thinking of getting a similar setup for my spey. Does anyone know of a line that is comparable to the wulf, or anyone that makes custom lines?

I like the wulf line, but the head lenght in the proper grain weight is only 24 ft, and I think that is just going to be to short for my 13ft 7wt

I'm looking for something that is maybe 10ft floating butt section and 23ft tapered intermediate ( something like 1 inch sink) just to get under the surface current.

I also like the look and feel of the wulf neutralizer, much better than the coating on the Rio Iflight.

Any suggestions?

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Look at the Guideline Triple D - Float/hover/ intermediate; get the uncut version then you can cut & tailor this to suit your' rod & preferred "feel" when casting.

Thes are really nice casting lines & will give you the presentation you are looking for; you can also add more dense/ faster sinking poly-tips if required to further increase the versatility.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for an older Rio AFS head.
Guideline makes what you are looking for in a Triple-D head, floating/hover/intermediate, which is a very nice line.
You can also contact Steve Godshall for a custom line for your rod. I have several (about 24) of his lines and all are very functional and smooth casting.

I don't fish anywhere that has a "summer run", I fish in the greatlakes. We have something similar to the "summer run" season at the end of summer/beginning of fall before the fall rains start. Floaters work very well, but sometimes the full intermediate or intermediate tip lines are more productive in the faster runs. Just enough to sink that fly a few inches down is all it takes for multiple hook-up days.

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys, Thanks for the responses!

Look at the Guideline Triple D - Float/hover/ intermediate; get the uncut version then you can cut & tailor this to suit your' rod & preferred "feel" when casting.

Thes are really nice casting lines & will give you the presentation you are looking for; you can also add more dense/ faster sinking poly-tips if required to further increase the versatility.

Regards, Tyke.

Tyke, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. I had not even heard of these lines. They look awesome, I'll have to look around and decide which one I want to try.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rmacneil656 what weight are you looking to try? If your able to go the the sandy spey clave this weekend check with Donna, she will have some intermediate scandis you can try.
Unfortunatly I will not be at the spey clave this weekend. I currently live in the San Francisco Bay area, but I am moving to central Oregon this summer. I'll be attending next year for sure.

As for the grain weight, I have a reddington dually 7wt 13ft. I can most likly make dew with the 37ft 401 grain. I'm currently running a 460 grain scandi floating, but with the intermediate material I feel like it will anchor more and load the rod a bit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts