Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Loop Cross S1 6122-6, Sage One 7116-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of acquiring a Sage X Spey 7140 and am interested in what Scandi head people are using for this rod. Rio recommend Scandi head weights of 460-520g. My research so far had led me to the 510g Scandi short which has a 34ft head. The longer head options would be the 480g at 37ft, or the 520g at 38ft. How material is this extra 3-4ft on a 14ft rod, and how should I choose between them?
I will be using this on the Columbia River so being able to cast the distance is an important factor. I have spent more time casting a Skagit head on my current 11'6" 'switch rod so would call myself a beginner Scandi caster.

·
Registered
Meiser, Sage, Beulah, Hardy, Lamson
359 Posts
Sounds about right, i used 510. The regular scandis have a very fine front taper, so the extra length is all up front. Great for light to medium flies.

If you are looking for a bit more length consider Bridge Tributary. Beulah Elixir Spey is a bit shorter but can turn over long sinking polyleaders nicely. With a mono leader it has very good turnover, a good beginner line.

·
Registered
Single hand and double hand fly rods mostly from Beulah and Hardy
25 Posts
Backpacker, I know this is not what you were asking about but, when you mentioned the Columbia river my thoughts went to a longer belly line. If you want to experiment with this then Maxcatch has a WF 7/8/9 integrated Spey line 125’ w/55’ head 589 grains 25lb test. I use it on my Beulah Platinum rod 13’ 8” for 8wt and it is very nice to cast. It's cost is under $20.00 US so not a big chunk of change if you wanted to try it. Here is the full specs
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Triangle

·
Registered
Loop Cross S1 6122-6, Sage One 7116-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tcorfey, I will probably purchase the Maxcatch as well. At the price point it makes sense to at least try it out.

JB1963, are you casting your 460g Scandi with the Sage X Spey 7140? Just wondering if there is enough weight to feel a deep load in this rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts