Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I am considering customizing a scandi head for my 12'7 Beulah Classic #7/8:

Rio Scandi body 7/8 (23' for 375 gr) + Rio 10' Tip #7 (75gr) OR Rio 10' Tip #8 (85gr) + Rio Light Scandi versileader 10' (45gr) + flurocarbon.

Head: either 450 gr (if #7 tip used) or 460 gr (if #8 tip used), 33' in length.

The Scandi body comes in different densities, so do the 10' Tip and the Light Scandi versileader. Very versatile.

I am afraid the Rio Scandi Short Versitip kits in #7 or #8 would be either too light (425gr) or too heavy (485gr), hence the customizing.

What do you think of the two formulas, and which one do you think would be most suited for my rod?

Thanks for your input
Cheers
Mahwrin

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Steve Godshall here in the Rogue River Valley.

Cuts/builds fly lines that are so specific they are made for a given rod/water/AND caster peculiarities. Don't ask me about that last bit, he already knows mine. :eek: At least two major custom rod builders (that I know of) come 'equipt' with his lines.

fae

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I am under the impression that the SSVT is just the Scandi body with 10' tips.

The SSVT in the 7 or 8 should both be great on that rod. With the floating tip it is plenty stout to handle polyleaders if thats what you want to do.

I have that rod and its a very nice stick.

Im sure any of the combos you mention would work but I dont think you need to go to all that trouble. Might be a fun experiment though, if thats what you like.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Why Not?

Go with a Beulah Elixir Switch (short)...450 grains @ 30' Our switch version rather than our longer Spey version is a powerful and versatile compact taper.

From there: grab a few Airflo 14' Polyleaders or Rio Versileaders that you feel you will use.

If you feel like the length is too long or the sink rate a bit too fast, you could easily shorten the tips as needed to dial in.

Voila...system matched perfectly and ready for action.

BB~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your answers.

Beulahnw, I will definitely give it a try as you obviously know what you're talking about ;) - or you should :razz:
Any suggestions concerning the tippet(s) length(s)?

I might sometimes have to go a little deeper or/and slower though (and still stick to Scandi style), hence my interest in the Rio Scandi bodies which come in different densities...

The Guideline 3D heads seem quite interesting too: no hinges (head needs to be cut though; they have an online app to help you).

Cheers

·
skagitard with skagitude
344 Posts
i use the int scandi body with 10' tips, int through type 6, then poly leaders off the tip, int through type 6.

this is how they were designed to be used, not sure what you mean by 'customized'??

if you want a 'customized' line, contact steve godshall, his lines are cheaper and cast better anyways

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mn44,

Right, "customized" is not the most appropriate term. I should have written, concerning the Rio SSVT, "best combinations". That's what I had in mind. The body comes in #7, #8, and #7/8 + #7 or #8 tips in 10' or 15', which gives different possibilities.
I guess the best way is to try. Yet, any idea about the best tip to use with the #7/8 body? #7 or #8 (seems 10' is the norm)?

Cheers

·
skagitard with skagitude
344 Posts
It doesn't matter, it will throw them all, 10 or 15ft

My buddy got me hooked on this setup.

I use the #8 intermediate body, the 10 foot tips (int, type 3, and type 6), and then poly leaders off the end of that (at least as fast sinking as my tip).

The body is deigned to be used with either the 10ft or 15 ft tips. The 'scandi short versitip' is just the scandi body packaged w/ 10 foot tips, while the 'scandi versitip' is the exact same scandi body but with 15 ft tips. The weight doesn't matter too much between 7 & 8 wt tips, since its just 10g for the 10ft models.

I'm tempted to try the type 4 scandi body as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, everything mentioned above works fine.
Just have to find the proper length of overhang (mainly), and the right length of polyleaders and/or tippet.
Elixir Switch + polyleaders.
Rio SSVT #7/8 floating body + 10' #7 tips, + tippet or 10' polyleader and very short tippet. Haven't tried the intermediate or sinking bodies.
For small flies, the Elixir Spey is really pleasant.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
New Rio 10' Polyleaders have a thicker core ( 0.0190" ) then the older one ( 0.0165") and weight ca. 60-65 gr. Though they are advertised at 24 lb, they break at 27 lb on Lefty Loop, so the core has to be 30-35 lb.Due to thicker core they also turnover fly better then the older model.

Intermediate body are even better then floater ( unless you want more speed for a very fresh fish)

Int. body + type 3 tip, will deliver a given fly almost as deep as floater + type 6 tip, assuming the length of the tip is the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sazan, you mean the Rio "2015 Light Scandi Versileaders"?
I'm interested in the intermediate body, but I'm wondering whether I should go for the #7 or the #8. It doesn't come in #7/8 (yet), which is a pity as with a #7 tip it would be precisely 450 gr...

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-leaders/versileader/spey-versileaders-10ft/

No, Rio Spey Versileader. They changed the mono-core late 2013, beginning 2014.

As for Scandi body, what is important to measure a weight of the rear half ( body and tip combo) and compare to the system you like. When D-loop is formed, it is approx. the rear half which loads a rod. Lines/Scandi heads have various weight distribution so comparing a total grain can be misleading.

For example, when Rio have issued the original Scandi Steelhead( in response to Airflo Compact Scandi) , they had several feet shorter leveled belly. Both 480 gr Airfo and 510 gr Rio loaded a give rod very similarly. The weigh of the rear half of the head or head+ poly were near identical.

Also, when you fish two identical ( by weight ) set-ups; floater + sink tip vs. intermediate + sink tip, the intermediate body cuts via air easier due to higher density and consequently feels a bit heavier on a given rod.

If you need, I can measure both bodies 350 gr Int. and 375 floater and let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Sazan, thanks for the explanation. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Sure, it'd be great if you could do the measuring on both bellies!
Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-leaders/versileader/spey-versileaders-10ft/

No, Rio Spey Versileader. They changed the mono-core late 2013, beginning 2014.

As for Scandi body, what is important to measure a weight of the rear half ( body and tip combo) and compare to the system you like. When D-loop is formed, it is approx. the rear half which loads a rod. Lines/Scandi heads have various weight distribution so comparing a total grain can be misleading.

For example, when Rio have issued the original Scandi Steelhead( in response to Airflo Compact Scandi) , they had several feet shorter leveled belly. Both 480 gr Airfo and 510 gr Rio loaded a give rod very similarly. The weigh of the rear half of the head or head+ poly were near identical.

Also, when you fish two identical ( by weight ) set-ups; floater + sink tip vs. intermediate + sink tip, the intermediate body cuts via air easier due to higher density and consequently feels a bit heavier on a given rod.

If you need, I can measure both bodies 350 gr Int. and 375 floater and let you know.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sounds like you've got the rod 'dialed in.'

Well, everything mentioned above works fine.
Just have to find the proper length of overhang (mainly), and the right length of polyleaders and/or tippet.
Elixir Switch + polyleaders.
Rio SSVT #7/8 floating body + 10' #7 tips, + tippet or 10' polyleader and very short tippet. Haven't tried the intermediate or sinking bodies.
For small flies, the Elixir Spey is really pleasant.
That last bit came as no surprise. Scandi's, in my experience, really are limited to small lightly weighted flies. Which is fine by me as 90% of fishing is that type of set-up here on the upper Rogue river.

One thing I do, that you may want to give a try, is insert 12 to 18 inches of 20 #** Mono MAIN LINE, NOT LEADER, (this may have to be adjusted as you give it a go) between the end of the fly line and sinking polly leader. Where this comes into play is the floating part of your head ... well floats.

This keeps the really weighted poly leader from really sinking (half it will go, effectively, no where below the surface. That bit of mono allows the poly to sink away from the end of the fly line. Won't say the thing will 'sink like a rock but you will get far deeper with your flies.:smokin:

** You didn't mention what line weight you're using so this may need to be 'scaled up' to as much as 30#. Line weight seven and above needs the '30.' One way or the other, look at the end (diameter) of the end of your fly line. That 'Governs all.'

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Mawhrin:

Measurements were performed on laboratory balance, however it is impassible to avoid an small error in when measuring a given section of the head, unless a line is cut into sections and then measure. Od course the exact weights of the entire head are very accurate.

The numbers were recalculated form grams into grains.

Rio Scandi body 350 gr #7 Intermediate:

The entire head 22.32 [email protected] 22.5’ ( 344 gr); the rear half ( 216gr); at 16’ form the rear: 288 gr; an average of the front 24”: 9.2 gr/foot

Rio Scandi body 375 gr #7/8 floater:

The entire head 23.81 [email protected]’ ( 367 gr) : the rear half ( 231gr); at 16’ form the rear: 290 gr; an average of the front 24”: 9.0 gr/foot

RIO Scnadi body 400 gr # 8 Intermadiate:

The entire head 26.06 ( 402 gr) ; the rear half ( 239 gr); at 16’ form the rear: 320 gr; an average of the front 24”: 9.1 gr/foot

Fred:

That last bit came as no surprise. Scandi's, in my experience, really are limited to small lightly weighted flies

Not true !!!!

Take Sinking Scandi e.g. GL F-I-S2 10/11 or or H-I-S3 which can be cut from the rear. The front several feet weight 9.5 gr/food and 2-3" lightly Rhea Intruder will get a free flying lesson, specially with touch and go cast like Single Spey for example. Such fly have appearance of being big in water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sazan, thanks a lot.
Well. I'd be tempted to go for the #7 intermediate as it is only 0.9 grams lighter than the floating #7/8 for the rear half and basically identical at 16' from the rear.
If it also feels a bit heavier than you could expect and obviously cuts the wind better, it seems the right choice. With the 7# 10' tips, it weighs only 2 grams less than the #7/8 floating body + #7 tips.

Good thinking?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts