Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of hooking up with a set of the scandanavian heads/tips for my Sage8126. I have the idea in my head that the 8/9 cut to 38ft/500grains would be ideal. I toss this rod overhand/head out on the big lake with just a 450grain 24ft stripper head on it now, works great.

Also, wondering if one of these heads could be squeezed on an Abel super 8 spool?

As always, Thanks,

Jamey

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shoot it

My plan was to just loop it to a running line. If I am way off with this, let me know, I am pretty new to the shooting head thing. The tech guys at Sage had recommended that 500-550 grains pushes this rod pretty good. I have fished it with a head at 44ft and just over 600grns, and felt it was a bit overloaded for myself.

Thanks,

Jamey

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Peter, here is Per's post...

Hello Peter,

Here are a few comments on shooting heads:
For the Underhand cast, in effect a crisp and short stroked single Spey, aimed at shooting lots of line rather than rolling it out, the heads should be relatively short. To load the the rod these "shorties" must be one or two line classes heavier than what the rod is rated for.

This is a rough guide for what I use:

12,5' #8, 35' #10 or 40' #9
14' #9, 38' #11 or 42' #10
15' #10, 38' #12 or 41' #11
16' #11, 42' #12 or 46' #11
(The longer the head, the lighter the AFTM class.)

With floating to light sinking lines I use 15' - 20' of leaders. (On fast sinkers to grain lines the leaders are from 10' - 3')

Nowadays there are a bunch of good heads to buy, straight from the shelf. I use both Loop and Airflo ones and find them great, given that one stops to compare what they cost to the home made ones. They cast tighter loops and turn over better than what most of the cut down DT:s do.

Still, the optimal all round salmon line for Sage 15'1" or T&T 15/5 (my two favorite rods) is 41' of old Hardy DT 11 Sinktip. It casts like nothing else and swings those flies like a dream. (The built-in tip is just 10' of sink II -giving the effect of a highly mendable intermediate)

Puh!

Per

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
8126 and 8136 are two different animals.
8/9 Scan Head works great with 8126, it is a faster rod then 8136.
I have used 8/9 on my 8126 without cutting it down and I change to Ed Wards style sink-tips on that rod.
:smokin:

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Sorry Peter for jumping in with both feet.

My Scan Head/sink-tips weigh in at 635 grains.
Underhand casting style might be making the difference here.
:D

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing,

Thats a quote from a song by the Dead on my post(Jerry Garcia), I'm Jamey.

The 600grain/44ftr is a section of a 14wt line with a 300grain24ft tip on the front. In reality its probably closer to 660 atleast. Works like a charm on my 9140 IIIe. With the short rod (the 8126) I was thinking the shorter head and weight would be better. What Brian said was right on with my thinking. I am thinking thats the way I will go.

Other thing (brian would probably know well since he uses the same line) Would this fit on an Abel Super 8, I also have the BG#3 spool for it, but would rather use it for something else.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planning on just going 500grains on the 8126. I really prefer a slower action/longer rod than this one. I recieved it in a larger trade, and am just trying to find a use for it. Its sat for 8 months, I figure if I don't find something to do with it it may as well go to ebay.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I toss this rod overhand/head out on the big lake with just a 450grain 24ft stripper head on it now, works great."

What is the minimum head weight to load your 8126 with an overhand cast, and what is the maximum head weight that you have cast with it?

Thanks!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Overhand I use a Rio 450grain24ft striper head. Or the 400grain24ft Clear Intermediate tip from Rio. I also use the Clear Intermediate running line. The 450 is right about perfect in my opinion. I only cast the 400grain once, it was into high winds, and wasn't working, need to try it again. Found a small river mouth that dumps into Lake MI, plan to hit it bright and early tomorrow and use the 400grain Int. head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts