Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: After reading one of the other threads, i'm looking around for a grain scale. I come from a scientific background and was used to using over-priced (but very accurate) scales.

I purchased a few cheaper scales post-retirement, but results never seemed satisfactory to me. Thought I would look for another as many of my older lines are difficult to ID. Anyone have some recommendations on specific models of reasonably priced scales that work well for lines?

Thanks.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Most grain scales (for weighing 0.01 to 100 grams [0.1 to 1542.8 grains]) whether you pay $10 or $500 should have an accuracy of ~0.01% or to within 0.1 grain - and come with standardised 50 gram x 2 weights to calibrate the scale as needed.

Do you really need better accuracy than +/- 0.1 grains?

Mine is a Neva model NVX (made in China), and cost <$15.00 and has served me well for over 8 years.

Mike

·
loco alto!
3,075 Posts
I use high-end analytical balances at work for scientific research. For home use I bought a $35 balance from a flyshop, thinking it'd be fine for fishing, but found the accuracy and reproducibility unacceptable, weighing a line at 500 grains one time, then 515 grains the next. Maybe others have had better luck than me.

So I did some research and here's what I bought for a little more coin. I think I paid $60 and it works great.

http://myweigh.com/product/ibalance-500/

The precision at 0.1 g is 1.5 grains, which isn't better than advertised for the $35 varieties, except this one actually works as advertised and nails it every time.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Re-calibrated, then checked my scale:

same object: weighed x 20

426.5 grains x 9
426.6 grains x 0
426.7 grains x 9
426.8 grains x 2

thus the object weighs 426.65 grains +/- 0.15 grains**

** the distribution on the weighing plate may account for this minor inaccuracy

Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I looked into both options and found a local dealer selling the MY WEIGH option. Some nice scales there for reasonable prices, and I should be able to use the scale for counting hooks, which is a major bonus as I have thousands of small Mustads, and other hooks kicking around that need to be counted. I miss my work lab scales! But no way am I paying those prices. Thanks again.

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
Check out some of the bullet making scales that people who make their own bullets use. Reasonable price and accurate enough to do what you wish. I have had one from Dillon Precision for about 15 years and works great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A good option is to go to the local head shop, and talk to the person behind the counter. Usually they offer an array of scales, and will be able to provide in-depth info on several.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts