Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step 1
Start with your turkey or if you already have a married wing skip step 1

Step 2
Split your desired wing height

Step 3
if you are using married wing skip this, note that the glue will help in the next process, apply with bodkin along the edge of the stem

Step 4
Glue applied along the edge of the stem, allow to dry and split the stem

Step 5
take the two strips and lay them on top of each other

Step 6
wrap some 6/0 thread around the slips in your fingers in a pinch wrap type, take two soft loops before taking real tension, this is where the death grip between the thumb and pointer finger is needed.

Step 7
After the thread is tight and youre confident its not going to come loose let the death grip go. It should be compressed like this with no collapse.

Step 8
After the wing is compressed for oh say 15 minutes, undo the thread, you dont want these wraps in your head!

Step 9
Mount the wing with ease, youll want to employ the death grip a little bit here too, but not nearly the amount you used when pre-compressing

Disclaimer, you may be very good at mounting married wings and vertical wings, but this makes it almost stupid proof to keep things from collapsing, use it if you want. any questions ill answer. Oh and if youre wondering why i use the glue on the turkey, it keeps the barbs in place better for me, its just a thing...

Enjoy

Matt

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Matt many thanks

More tips like this and I may well have a chance at tying a winged fly

How about a cheat for Bronze Mallard

Very cool

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive mounted BM in this same way, then pulled the slips down and out on both sides, its a bit different of a look but i think it will work, just go thinner on the strips to start... good luck

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the wing isnt perfect, but i really wasnt caring about the tip alignment or stagger like i would if it was a real fly. Im serious though it works great!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
i really wasnt caring about the tip alignment or stagger like i would if it was a real fly!
Traditionally speaking a strip wing is set opposite of what you are showing, but it is your hook. Other than that, you’re step by step looks to be very helpful. Compressing the wing prior to setting is a very effective tool and can be used for both standard strip wings, married wings and Dee style wings. Keep up the good work.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traditionally speaking a strip wing is set opposite of what you are showing, but it is your hook. Other than that, you’re step by step looks to be very helpful. Compressing the wing prior to setting is a very effective tool and can be used for both standard strip wings, married wings and Dee style wings. Keep up the good work.
Yep, this would only be the orientation I set for the underlying slips for the gold riach pattern I posted a few days back, long fibers outside of fly, and mounted completely different process to boot. And yes the Dee style wing, I thought I saw a "delta wing" sbs on here and that is the basis to this idea.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
You slipped the married wing photo in right before I posted, so I did not see that wind set prior to my post. The married wing is looking real good. I am not sure I would call the glue a cheat, maybe if you were gluing the entire wing to keep it from splitting. I usual hit the tie in point of the wing with a drop of glue prior to finishing the fly, adds to the durability. I don’t use wax, but it is also a good tool to add to the durability of a complex tie.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, Marty! arent you the one who made the SBS for the delta wing?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Man, I wish I had this before I tried every other technique I could find and wasted a million dollars worth of feathers learning! Almost looks like a cheat more than a tip!! Haha I'm kidding, this is great info for someone learning and I will be sure to try it... And yes Mr. Howard did the same sbs for Dee wings

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I wish I had this before I tried every other technique I could find and wasted a million dollars worth of feathers learning! Almost looks like a cheat more than a tip!! Haha I'm kidding, this is great info for someone learning and I will be sure to try it... And yes Mr. Howard did the same sbs for Dee wings
Well lets Credit Mr Howard for this too, since it stemmed from his tip on the dee wings. alright! :smokin:

·
Registered
361 Posts
This method is great! I will have to find the Dee wing SBS as well. Thanks guys. I learned a lot today!

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Seriously funny - I've done a few dees like Marty BUT didn't even know he'd layed down the schooling LOL. Of course, mine don't look quite as finished as his. And of course I can't find the pics I took of my built up units. Good stuff guys!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts