Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres my two sense on it.

Using a 2271 down eye really helps keeping the bend and point of the hook used out of the way, Im using GSP for spun fur so I helical wrap 6/0 and hit with glue to resist pullout.

Using backing since i ran out of wire, itll work

Make sure you return your stinger material and lock down

Use 6/0 to secure the dumbbell eyes

dubloop

add a small slip of black arctic fox

after securing the dub, unwind the loop to use for the coyote fur, slip in the coyote fur, make sure its clean on the but ends and close to the loop

Spin, Brush, and slick to one side

Wrap the fur made hackle

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

Add guinea

Tie in grizzly hackle

Dub body

Wrap Hackle

Repeat fur hackle process, wrap dumbbell eyes, and add guinea.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Theres a lot here

...really clearly and concisely shown ...a great template..my wheels are spinning

fantastic job

the sbs is so easily decipherable ..thats gotta be a pita to do

D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Nice bug. One thing, make the loop just big enough to switch out hooks. Once you get a hook in that one, it's gonna hang really far back.

To get a good sense, put the hook in when you tie the loop on, then unloop it

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, Rodger that, mostly did this for a friend who wanted to see the overall process, this is babes for trash since its just Dacron, I fancy wire myself...

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
It's always cool to see how others build their flies Matt. I am actually very crude compared to many of you fellows but having these SBS to view helps me to expand my tying and thus my flies.

Thanks,

Ard

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's not really a true shank intruder per the original but I love the way these look. I'll be completing my tube sbs later today I'm sure everyone will be happy with what I show.

·
Sponsor
87 Posts
SRFS stinger loop material

Nice SBS Matt. After years of trying out a variety of loop materials, including wire, I have settled on the loop material that I now sell. It is great. Stays perfectly in line, holds up (never had it fail), does not rust, and I now produce it in a variety of nice colours.
You can check it out here: http://www.skeenariverflysupply.com/shop/accessories/stinger-loop-material/
Cheers,
Jaap

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts