Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Noble cause, near and dear to the heart... but can you explain this banner?

I tried to read the explanations but they were not translated. Thank you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Juro,

That is a very good question and one that I can’t answer. However, with that said I would hope that this does not stop anyone from participating in the survey. Anyone that knows anything about Atlantic salmon conservation should know who Orri Vigfursson is. He may have done more for Atlantic Salmon conservation then any one person in history. And you can bet that if he is behind this survey something good will come out of it.

Thanks, Charlie

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I am quite familiar with Orri Vigfurssen's historic / herculean efforts over the last two decades. I even called him long distance from Seattle to talk to him once. The gentleman who answered the phone did not speak English, and it was a short call :p

But that's not the point, I was wondering how the site could be criticizing fish farming and promoting it at the same time. Maybe there's a good reason, like they only use open-ocean moving pens which eliminate effluent accumulation in isolated waters and most likely reduce sea lice infestations too. Maybe they raise them freely in fiords rather than pens, letting them feed for themselves instead of using pellets that are often contaminated and overly rich (60% oil) and artificially colored (xantaxanthan (sp?)) and flavored with ferol bromide to make the savory taste on the tongue.

I just want to know, what makes their farming practices better - perhaps we could deploy them on North American farming operations.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that they use contained land-based pens. It eliminates waste as well as escapes.

The problem of course, is that it much more expensive to do it that way. In Norway government regulations require it. We are so hungry for some investment that we have no regulations - that is why the Norweigan companies dominate the Canadian and Peruvian fish farm industries.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Kush,

If what you say about land based pens is true
then we need to start passing some laws in
B.C. and Washington and push for land based pens.

Whistler,

Great banner it just needs Washington added to
it.:D

Kevin

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whistler said:

Hilarious!

Yeah, the banner puzzles me too. Maybe some Norwegian forum reader can enlighten us? Cause as far as I know there´s no law in Norway that says you can only farm salmon in landbased pens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Banner

That must be the most stupid banner ever produced. What they really want is that you only buy Norwegian salmon marked as ecological produced (the two small marks on each side of the huge "BUY ONLY"), but if you look at it from more than 20 centimeters it seems that they advocate "labelled Norwegian salmon" in general. They must share advertising company with the salmon farmers, or maybe the salmon farmers support their campaign.

Norwegain salmon farmers are not generally environmentally friendly as they are responsible for escapes, diseases and sea lice. In some of our classical salmon areas of the west coast they'll have to carry a big part of the responsibility for the destruction of the stocks. Even with the documentation existing today their willingness to do anything is very low and mostly concerned with putting up smokescreens. Wasn't it Norwegian companies that were behind some of the Atlantic salmon farming done in British Columbia? At least we are exporting our "knowledge" to Chile at the moment.

Knut

·
Registered
378 Posts
Knutalf,

you are right it, there are many Norwegian owned farms here in BC. One has to ponder if what brought them over here is our lack of regulations compared to Norway. The thing that annoys me the most is our government is unwilling to use Norway as a model for the destruction that open net pens will bring here(should really use past tense-but it is ongoing). You guys are clearly many years ahead as it is a fairly new industry over here. I strongly feel that if we need to get the BC government to put a moratorium on new farm licenses. Unfortunately they keep turning a blind eye to the damage and claim that there is no conclusive evidence that farming does any harm(as Premier Campbell says, "BC is open for business!" afterall). To me sea lice is the big issue over here and the impact upon outward migrating Steelhead is substantial. This issue presents a unique opportunity to have the Sport, Commercial and First nations user groups all working for the same cause.
Brian Niska

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't use Norway as a model for fish farming. Most, if not all farms in Norway are open pens in the ocean and the only production on land is smolt rearing. We have had and still have escaping fish and sea lice production, and recent reports is not encouraging. Regulations are not very strict and not properly enforced, why we have a reputation as a country with strict regulations is hard to understand.

Knut

·
Registered
378 Posts
Knutalf,

aquaculture has been very hard on your fishery. I said our government is unwilling to use what happened to you guys as an example of what is going to happen here. Believe it or not Norway has stronger regulations than BC. In fact as Kush(happy 50th buddy!) said-what regulations? The industry is much older in Norway than it is here-thus we have something to learn from y'all. Purely an assumption on my part but...I don't think we would have so many Norwegian companies operating here if it was a harder place for them to do business than home. I have very strong feelings about this one issue and think that the damage that we are seeing now is a product of the farming done during the 90's. As we give out more licenses today I don't think the full effect will be realized till after 2010, by which time we might all be lake fishers. Just my 2cents!
BN

·
Registered
294 Posts
An English point of veiw

I simply would'nt buy farmed salmon for my family from any where ,i am slowly educating some of the Chefs i work with regarding the filth that these Farms which produce waste that would'nt be allowed on land anywhere even the 3rd world .
OOPs heading into a rant .
Dont buy farmed salmon from anywhere.:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Other than the obvious problems with escaping fish and sea lice, what are the environmental problmems that you refer to, Andy? I don´t have that much knowledge about the effects of fish farming, other than it´s bad news.... there must be a lot of negative chemical/ecological downsides as well...

Whistler; looks like you PNW guys need to put up one hell of a fight before the industry gets too big. In Norway it´s such an important industry that I doubt we´ll see any changes in the near future.:(

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fred

The problems are many and time is short,I,ll look at input and output .
Input fishmeal ,which is being Hoovered up all over the world to feed much agriculture,leaving the worlds wild fish and sea birds short of food ,these "trash fish "are very inneficiently converted into a flabby pale shadow of Atlantic Salmon .
In the mainly scottish waters the sea cages are sighted in areas of low flow ,the Faeces from the salmon coat the bottom of the sea,this kills the local indiginous sea bed life ,and in warmer weather leads to algal blooms and is associated with the closure of shellfish harvesting in large parts of Scotland .
Tight for time at the moment will come back with some links to sites where you will get much more info than I can deliver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts