Spey Pages banner

Saracionne mark v

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Ken Schleyer 
#1 ·
I am swinging a meiser 13679 cx with a sage Spey 7-9 reel ,,, tossing the thought of buying a saracionne Mark v 4. “,,,, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated,,,
Thx
And tight lines everyone

#16 ·
Nice to hear ,,, I also have access to a beulah platinum 2,,,13’2” ,,, 7 wt ,,, I currently allow my uncle to play with ,,, I’ll keep my sage Spey 7/8/9 reel ,,, to use on my 7wt method switch ,,,
I’ve talked with joe already ,,,order hasn’t been placed yet ,, but I will be getting the Mark V
Thanks again all you swingers ,,, no other way to play than with the spey
Tight lines everyone

#3 ·
If balance is an issue, perhaps the Saracione is a bit heavy? 12 oz is a lot. I use the original 1990s 4 inch Hardy Ultralite Discs on my 13 ft Meiser’s and even on my 15 ft 7 and 8 weight Highlanders. The Hardy’s are less than 220 grams or less than 8 oz. My Meiser’s have lower grips mostly of wood for balance and good looks. But anyway, the Saraciones are beautiful reels.

#6 · (Edited)
I completely understand why you'd think that, as many feel this way.. Though as far as true premium double hand reels go 12oz is actually sorta light. I mean you could fish it on a 12 footer like 150 ( a 12 oz 3 1/2) bogdan or murray stewart. Joe's mark 4's were actually heavier then the 5's and many people get the multiplier which adds 1.5 oz.
From the cnc makes of Farlex,saracione,loop classic, cascapedia to bogdan,stewart,noel,speylabs, pre war hard perfects etc Your gonna find a large weight increase from the modern multi purpose reels. Since your casting with two hands not one. Casting isn't a issue. All of it comes downs to the swing position. How you feel with the head casted out under tension of the current. Personally i like a oz per foot after 10 feet unless its some very light rod. I like the reel to fight the heavy tip thats pulled by the current +head. Though I'm a bench made reel collector so i'm pretty biased towards heavy reels. Joe does have a light weight mod for all reels. Though to get best out of it you'd have to get multiplier.

Now to answer the original question. This is one of the greatest reels on the market, so there aren't any cons besides price and getting used to such weights. Depends on what leads to saracione but if you're just out for owning something great and not too set on specific drags. I’d always recommend looking at a few bench made reel makers. I could recommend you some in that price range but otherwise saracione mark 5 is probably the best CNC disk double hander reel on the market

#4 ·
I have a Meiser 13068CX with the adjustable reel seat...this reel seat allows the reel to be shifted a few inches up or down and allows for small adjustments in the balance point. Also have a Saracione Mark V in the 3 3/4 size (11.5 ounces) and I find the reel is a bit heavy for my taste for a typical rod of that size. The reel sort of works on a 7130 Sage Mod...but that rod is particularly tip heavy. Anyhow...I suppose you can say almost any reel works if you just hold the rod lower on the grip, but I prefer holding the rod right at the top of the grip during the swing :)

#11 ·
Unsolicited personal opinion. Having had a number of these reels, I would sure think twice before ordering the "lightweight" modification for $400. Its hard to imagine how there could be a meaningful difference in 1.5 oz. But as always, something meaningful for one person may mean nothing to another.

#12 · (Edited)
The said 3 1/4 Mark V Salmon was ordered for some trout spey rods. At 7.5oz it is about the maximum end which could still balance my Sage One 3110 while also work for my TCX 5119. At least it was what the plan was as I discussed with Joe and he suggested me the light weight modification.

Now, at 9.25oz it works for my TCX 5119 but not the One 3110, way too heavy.

For bigger reels around 12oz for bigger rods, true, 1.5oz wouldn't make much difference. (Again the claimed 1.5oz reduction is for the multiplier ONLY.)

After some talks and emails Joe offered to refund the 400USD as the "light weight mod" didn't turn out as what he claimed or I expected. I took 300USD as I know the porting option on Mark V cost an extra 100USD so I told him to charge what it usually should. Joe is a nice gentleman but I guess he is getting too busy sometimes and would forget things. Be sure to discuss and double confirm with him what you want if you are going to place a special order.

ps: I got another used 3 1/4 Mark IV trout for my 3110 at last.

#13 ·
Interesting discussion and dilemma, I guess the moral of the story is to buy more reels and not try to have a "one for all" scenario! ;)
As you seem to have wanted a troutspey reel then yes perhaps a large single handed clicker (+2 line weight) is the best option rather than a salmon sized reel.
I once had a requirement for a reel for a single handed rod intended for seatrout or small grilse in the 8-9oz range. The 3" trout reel was too light and the salmon 3 1/4" was too heavy. I inquired of the maker if the trout reel could be made with a wider spool and beefier drag, but he instead made me a 3 1/8" reel based on the 3 1/4" salmon with a slimmer spool and ported sideplates and spool and it met the weight and drag requirements perfectly.

#17 ·
I am swinging a meiser 13679 cx with a sage Spey 7-9 reel ,,, tossing the thought of buying a saracionne Mark v 4. “ ... pros and cons would be greatly appreciated,,,
Thx
And tight lines everyone
Great discussion - I am going through a similar exercise and recently spent the past summer playing around with the rods and reels I have. The best answer for you, I am balancing after the cast, as I guide the fly and want the butt down (lightly). As I have gotten better, this short arm guy is moving his top hand move up, I am holding "high".

For my Meiser 13'6" 7wt CX 6pc (13668-6CX), I have happily re-purpose at 10.4oz (empty) Nautilus 12DD.

Realize it is consider light, but I have landed Atlantic on it.

I have a "heavy" NextCast Steelhead Finder at 550 grains supporting 15' 129 grains on this Meiser (520 may be perfect for me). I have tried lighter, but for this rod, I like the heavy weight. As a counter-point, I also use the Nautilus 12DD for a Burkheimer 7134, but I favour a Gaelforce Equalizer 8 at 462 grains and polyleaders (or hand tied).

So, if I was looking for a reel match for your new Meiser, I would be looking ~ 10.5 ounce.

:)

#20 ·
Great discussion - I am going through a similar exercise and recently spent the past summer playing around with the rods and reels I have. The best answer for you, I am balancing after the cast, as I guide the fly and want the butt down (lightly). As I have gotten better, this short arm guy is moving his top hand move up, I am holding "high".

For my Meiser 13'6" 7wt CX 6pc (13668-6CX), I have happily re-purpose at 10.4oz (empty) Nautilus 12DD.

Realize it is consider light, but I have landed Atlantic on it.

I have a "heavy" NextCast Steelhead Finder at 550 grains supporting 15' 129 grains on this Meiser (520 may be perfect for me). I have tried lighter, but for this rod, I like the heavy weight. As a counter-point, I also use the Nautilus 12DD for a Burkheimer 7134, but I favour a Gaelforce Equalizer 8 at 462 grains and polyleaders (or hand tied).

So, if I was looking for a reel match for your new Meiser, I would be looking ~ 10.5 ounce.

:)
I’ve also been talking with Tim at farlex ,,, his 3 3/4 “ s handle multiplier with brass accents weighs 11.5
My sage is 10,6 I believe

#18 ·
I have covet Joe's reels and been been considering his reel for a Meiser 5wt 15'6", but also looking at Tim's (Farlex), as I believe the right weight is 12oz. In my research, I read complaints of Joe's 4 drag releasing when the reel got wet. He reported this issue was address with the Mark 5.

I do lament how few 12-15oz reel options are available.

Yes, my <10oz Abel SDS 12 is great for Tarpon, but it is too light for my classic G Loomis 15' 9wt Greased Line Rod. It appears most manufacturers wan to be under 10oz.

#19 ·
I have both the Mark IV and V Salmon. Personally I like the IV more.

The V is trouble-free like most modern sealed drag reel. You do not need to do anything except a rinse with clean water after fishing, and you SHOULD NOT open it.

But being a tackle junkie, I like to open the Mark IV, do the service myself, and I could also tinker the parts like adjusting the drag range and the sound.

The V's click is louder, but I like the IV's clicking sound more, which is more like metalic "ting ting" sound.

The V has matte black sideplate, whereas the IV is gloss. I prefer gloss and I asked Joe, he said it was too much trouble polishing them so he is not doing it now anymore.

Downside, the IV is heavier.

The wet drag problem of IV can actually be corrected if you have opened and observed a IV. You could put grease on the round plate covering the drag room so water couldn't get inside during a short period of submersion. Still, it is not a good practise to dump your reel in the water even if you fish a V with sealed drag.

I wouldn't mind getting more IV if them appear and at good price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.