Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me a Scott 1287. Now, to find a reel. I have an "inside edge" at Orvis, so I'm considering a Battenkil large arbor (to keep cost down). Anybody know what size to get, 4 or 5. Advice on these pages are to use a windcutter 6/7/8 or midspey 7/8. Or should I wait for the Mach to come out this spring?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Reel.

Sounds like Santa was in a much more generous mood when he got to your house. I would go with the Battenkill LA #5, but you will still only be able to fit on a minimal amount of backing with either of those lines. If you are 100% decided on an Orvis reel I would go with the BBS #5. I would also check out Lamson reels, they make some pretty high capacity reels of really good quality for not alot of $$$$$.

Good luck,

Jamey

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd wait.

The B'kill LAs have great pickup but minimal capacity. Since you've got an 'in', I suggest taking your WC 678 to the shop and spooling it onto a 5 without backing to see whether there's space left for backing. FWIW, I also like a reel that counterbalances the rod, and I think the BLA may be a little light to do that. Good luck and I hope you get out with your new rod soon. I've never heard a bad word about the 1287!:cool:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Get a Battenkill VI. I have one lined with a Mid-Spey 7/8 and about 125 yards of Micron 20 lb. backing. The Battenkill V just won't carry enough backing with a spey line of any kind. They are, BTW, fine reels, especially for the price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. My buddy is sending me a demo BLA V to try. He says they don't sell the VI anymore because of production problems. I have seen them in the shops though. He also said the new Mach line of reels should be better suited to Spey rods.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Scott 1287 is awesome. It handles a wide range of lines but I like the 6\7 Midspey the best. It is a very versatile rod so I would see if you can demo a few lines before you invest to see which will suit your cast the best. What a great gift from Santa. I got the standard lump-o-coal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts