Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

And so the book closes on yet another unbelievable spey gathering on a gorgeous steelhead river, the Sandy. I am sure there will be many testimonials from the wide variety of places people hailed from to attend. From my perspective, I was able to see a little more of what Mark Bachmann, Brian Silvey, Leroy, and my host Andre among others call their home water and I hope I will collect a little bit more of the Sandy toward my own "home waters" collection every time I visit in the years to come.

As much as I lust for time on steelhead water, it was hard to forfeit even a minute of the clave. With many of the most knowledgable and accomplished spey and single handed casters a guy (or gal) could think of in one place, it's quite a unique event. Like others have posted, everyone is willing to assist anyone - just ask.

There were so many high points I could not possibly list them here so I will let the images tell the story when I can get the slideshow together within the next few days.

It was truly a great pleasure to celebrate Spey fishing with everyone this weekend!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sandy Clave

I agree with Juro, the Clave was outstanding. Kudos to Mark and his crew for all the hard work that went into putting this Clave together.

I was able to camp for a week prior to the Clave, fished with Mark for a day, got into some fish and had one of the best weeks I've had in a long time.

Great group of casters that gave presentations.

Thanks Laurie and Bob for the great food and fire when hands and rears needed warming.

Again, thanks Mark and Patti for a great week and the Clave.

Ray Phelps:hehe:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fred Evans is real

I had the fortune to shake hands with the mythical man. I had always thought Fred's name just appeared to keep this forum moving along. It was an honor to shake your hand Fred. Also thank you Ray for the shuttle up to Dodge park. Jerry

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
And I should say the warmth I got from all still has me

glowing. You guys/gals are just too cool for words. And, before I forget, Joan wanted me to thank you again for giving her your chair on the beach. She was getting to be a pooped camper. A life saver ... she slept most of the way home to Ashland.

Joan has a about 70 'Clave photo's to post to her web shots site so it will take a couple of days but lots of good memories for all who where there. And for those who weren't, an insentive for next year.

The instructors this year were just beyond words. So many, and so little in the way of repeat material. Ton of video shot this weekend, and it appears Mark taped the whole thing. Suspect we have a great Charity video in the offering.
fae

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Sandy Spay Clave

Even better than last year. So much information presented I hope there is a video produced. It will be the only way I can hope to take advantage of all that was presented.

The opportunity to try the latest in equipmant is great fun although it engourages one to think about spending WAY too much money.

Got to meet and spent some time with Fred Evans. Very enjoyable.

I could watch the great casters all day long. They all make it look so easy. Spey casting is a beautiful combination of skill, grace and rhythm.

Thanks Mark and ALL.

Rich

·
Registered
916 Posts
WOW!! From Mark Bachman's web site . . . approximately 700 attended?!! Now I'm double sorry I couldn't make it this year.

Just a few days before the 1st Sandy Clave we thought that maybe 25 or 30 people would attend. We were blown away when (I think I remember) over 70 came. It wasn't "organized" but we all had a great time. Now there's a schedule, sound system, triple camera videos, etc!!

I was happy to hear that the most gracious Bob and Laura are still doing their stuff, Mark's contribution continues to grow, LCSteve still demonstrates his terrific casts and the indomitable Chatty Cathy's (er, Fred's) idea was a great one. Living so far away, I miss not seeing friends and many of the people I've met and corresponded with — and learned from. I'm certainly going to try to make the next Sandy Clave. Congratulations to all. This is a great community.

And a little closer to home, I am looking forward to seeing Steve and Way again at the East Clave in October.

Bill Kessler

PS: I'm definitely interested in a video if one is produced.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sigh ... "the indomitable Chatty Cathy's (er, Fred's) idea"

And here after the HalMeister's eclipsed me by a thousand posts I thought I'd 'slipped the bonds' of that moniker. No such luck, and Bill has a long memory.:D

Bill, the good news for next year is Mark already has 2004 underway! If you fly into Portland, Or it will take you longer to get off the plane and collect your luggage/rental car than it will to drive to Oxbow park from the airport.

Think 2004!:smokin:
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ouch! Or should I say:

Cringe?
:eek:
:>)
fae

Can I get you to "forget" with a 'bribe trip' on the Rogue?????

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bill, just kidding.

I'm honored you'd even remember. I considered that to be a true HUG; and a guy needs all he can get.
:>)
Fred

·
Registered
344 Posts
My son and I were there both days--we camped over Sat night. Saturday was great, and Sunday would have been even better except I was suffering with a migraine for most of the day, and my son was operating with too little sleep.

I certainly agree with wpk (and others) about the benefits of this event. I'm looking for new rods, wanting to go practice, quizzing my son about the names of the casts. It was fun and hugely worthwhile. Plus, I met or re-met a number of folks from the Flyfishing Forum Spey Clave! Had I been alone, I would have had greater ability to socialize, but my son was having a great time, for which I'm thankful.

Watching the experts was even more informative than at Spey Clave #1 for me. (I missed last year.) I saw myself as the expert a few times...when they were demonstrating things like the "bloody L" and other errors! I learned how to recognize and correct some of my errors. For example, using my lower hand to hold the sleeve on my upper arm will help me when I get really bad with the lower hand.

Much of our time was spent casting various lightweight speys. I was casting pretty well on Saturday, and thought, "man, these rods are nice." When I got out my own rod, I realized, "gee, I'm casting well today." I must have picked up a lot by osmosis. We went fishing for a brief bit Saturday evening, and I was really in a relaxed groove with my single speys and circle speys. Unfortunately, it didn't even last until Sunday.

But, we found some rods we really liked. I went into the weekend planning to test a couple Burkheimer rods, just to benchmark what the best are like. On Saturday, just as we were getting ready to watch longcast Steve Choate and Way Yin, Rob Allen showed up with the new Burkheimer 12.5 foot 7 wt. It was love at first cast, and we missed the whole presentation. My son was really casting that rod well. It was easy and forgiving, and yet powerful for its class. Sunday, it seemed he cast the T&T 13 ft 7 wt a bit better, but both of us were casting better on Saturday, so it's hard to tell. The Burkheimer was so enjoyable, I need to try the 13 foot 3 inch 7 wt. I don't know if any of these rods are in our future--none of my other equipment is that nice--but I'm thinking about it much more than before.

If any of you are looking for a lightweight spey, that brand new (we may have been the first non-Burkheimer employees to cast it) Burkie was special.

In another price class, we liked the CND Expert 6/7 (13 foot), and I'm guessing based on the feel of that and comments here that the CND Custom 7/8 might be another great choice for us, but I was too slow on Sunday to get a chance to cast it.

Mark Bachman, Patty Barnes, and the rest of the gang at the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches put together a superior event. Special thanks also to Bob L. and Laura C. for the hospitality trailer and assistance with the event.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 'clave was simple awesome! Mark and Patty continue to raise the bar, we experienced excellent instruction, awesome equipment, and spectacular venue. To quote many "there isn't a bad rod here, just a couple that need the right line. I can not wait to see what they have planned for next year.

thanks

andre

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SparseHairHackl said:
In another price class, we liked the CND Expert 6/7 (13 foot), and I'm guessing based on the feel of that and comments here that the CND Custom 7/8 might be another great choice for us, but I was too slow on Sunday to get a chance to cast it.

Mark Bachman, Patty Barnes, and the rest of the gang at the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches put together a superior event. Special thanks also to Bob L. and Laura C. for the hospitality trailer and assistance with the event.
It was not at our rustic rod rack for very much of the time - that rod was cast perhaps the most of all models we had. If you can't find it at a dealer near you let me know.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Juro,

You told me that the River City fly shop would be carrying the rods. I've been planning to get out there anyway, since the story is they have some of the best materials. So, if they have that rod, I should be able to check it out there. Thanks. Of course, I really like that new Burkheimer, but...when I could get 2 rods instead... hmmm...<g>

--Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts