Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else get this yet? Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't sat through it yet, but early on just when Steve Choate and Way Yin start talking the video goes black for a couple of minutes and reopens talking about how to land a Steelhead on a spey rod. I'll be calling the Fly Shoppe about it when they open, but is mine messed up or is it every tape?

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Sandy River video

My copy has the same blank spot. Probably just a glitch in the production and coping process. Received an e-mail from another forum member with the same blank spot. I would guess all the tapes have it.

A great tape with lots of valuable ingotmation. I recommend it for all who are interested in spey casting.

Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sandy River Spey Clave Video

My copy has the blank spot as well...must be on every tape...despite that glich, this tape has some very useful information on it.

This video contains a great segment regarding "Cast Killers" or mistakes to look out for in your casting technique that destroy your cast. Then proper form is demonstrated.

Also, little tips like how to manage running line for longer shooting casts, etc...

Good stuff!

River Rat

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah, the small blank spot, but not a problem in the least. I contacted Ol Rich just to make sure mine wasn't alone.

Anyway, great video, with a wide variety of tips that you won't find anywhere else. Also nice to see the very different casting styles of, say, Steve Choate on the one hand, and Andy Murray on the other. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Hats off to Mark for making the video and donating the proceeds to the Native Fish Society.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Video format?

Do you guys know, if the video is available in PAL format, or NTSC only?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sandy River Spey Video

Philster,
Yea my copy did the same thing, right in the middle of Steve and Way's presentation. I suspect it's poor editing and not poor reproduction of the master. It's only available in video and no dvd is planned is what I heard.

I haven't had a chance to view all of it yet but what I've seen has been impressive, really good stuff - content wise that is. Some great tips and techniques I haven't seen elsewhere or heard explained in such a way. .

If you the type that is distracted or irritated by less than profesional video image, sound clarity, and editing quality than this tape is not for you. The production, as Mark mentions in the intro, was done by amateurs that were volunteering their time for a great cause and giving it their best under difficult circumstances. All of which shows, nevertheless the teaching demonstrations are very good and you can pick up a great deal of knowledge not availvable elsewhere.

John

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the funnest things about the video is to watch the folks in the background. There are a couple of places where folks are unloading MONSTER casts while testing rods. I've hit rewind a couple of times to see those background casts again :eek:

·
Registered
711 Posts
No kidding Philster. Noticed a couple the other evening way upsteam from Simon or George Cook hitting the opposite bank. I also like the Native Fish Society bits, scattered throughout, with folks fighting steelhead. Heart starts racing when I see that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Get this video!

Echoing what's said above. Mine has the blank spot too, but there's so much great instruction, it's hardly noticeable. This video gives fishing tips, not just casting tips, and is a great add-on to the two accepted 'gotta-haves'--Derek's and Rio's Intern'l. I'll be watching this video many times! Thanks to Mark, all of the presenters, and all involved in making this.
Carl

·
Registered
254 Posts
Finally figured out where mine was. They used my old address from a previous order and it went to the EX-wife. But I got it now. Great stuff. I've heard George tell the story of how he named the snap-T a hundred times and it gets better everytime. I down loaded the Ed ward section onto my hard drive via a capture card, slowed it down to 4/10's normal speed and have his Perry Poke playing over and over for my screen saver. There is a lot of great info, even for people who have done it for awhile. That's what I love about Claves and Spey casting. You can constantly learn something new and continue to improve what you already have. The best part of being there is having a master hand you his rod to try and he gives you pointers. That is the shiznit. God I love this sport.

Matt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Monster casts in background

Throughout the tape, many different casters were demoing rods in the background. One caster in particular really stands out. The kind of casting that should be in the foreground, not the background. I'm about 99% certain that caster was Tom Larimer. Originally from Milwaukee, WI, Tom now guides on the Deschutes. His casting is incredible and I believe based on the unique stance, timing, loop shape, and loop speed that it was him in the background.

Maybe next year's video will include a segment by him!

Great video! Can't wait for next year's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dear Spey Clavers,
Reading your reviews of "Spey Casting Secrets" is most interesting.
by and large it seems as though most of the comments are favorable.
Sorry about the black spot. No part of the video is missing.
It is the result of (2) 60 minute DV tapes hooked together to make (1) 118 minute VHS tape.
It is a result of poor attention by the person who was in charge of the duplication (the only paid person).
Native Fish Society was able to get PGE to fund the duplication of the first batch of videos so they are able to keep 100% of the wholesale cost of this batch.
Many thanks to all of you who bought this video and helped raise funds for Native Fish Society (let's hope all of these first videos become collectors items).
As far as a video resulting from Sandy Spey Clave 2004?
Probably not much of a chance.
Believe it or not there is about 700 man hours involved in the production of this one. Many thanks to all who helped.
No other formats are contemplated.
Fish long & prosper,
Mark Bachmann

1 - 12 of 12 Posts