Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Mark -

Thanks for your support of the Speyclave and Flyfishing Forum. We're proud to call you a sponsor!

Looking forward to following the Speyclave and if at all possible... I will sneak out to attend.

Best,

Juro

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Juro, after you've been to one, you'll

understand the airfare was a cheap investment. This may only be #2 but it's turning into THE West Coast Spey gathering.
Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did you learn from your spey class?

Dear Fred,
I can use any input and isights from what you learned from your spey class that could be applied to the Sandy River Spey Clave.
Mark Bachmann

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mark,

Dianne and I are ready!

Juro, we'll look forward to meeting you...It's only a job. Losing it will give you more time to fish. :)

Crusty

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
JURO!!!!! You're coming West!!!

Crap and nuts; I'm going to have to put the full court press on the other instructors to see if I can duck the teaching assignment. If not it's going to be a hell of a drive on Sat afternoon-evening to get up there to meet you.

"If you build it they will come."
fe:smokin:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Just to be clear, I really want to come, and I believe my next mileage statement will include a freebie based on the miles from my recent spring trip, and couldn't think of anything I'd rather do, etc. etc. - but it's certainly far from being definite at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I might be lucky enough to attend this event. It would take a broad range of variables to line up and I could only stay for the weekend + maybe one day off.

That being said I am going to do everything I can to see if I can attend somehow.

I sure could use any edge to try to keep up with my PNW SPey buddies :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Usual Suspects

C'mon J - Crusty's right, it's only a ~job~ ;)

If you head out, there will certainly be a Seattle contingent driving down in case you want to land here.

Good Luck!

DS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spey Clave

I am coming up for the Clave. Any must see events or speakers for some one who is just getting starting?

Thanks for your great site and to all of you who help out the beginner.

Jerry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Showers at Oxbow Park

Got this news from Jim Lind at Oxbow Park:
"Showers have been up and running since last Memorial Day. Flush toilets with hot running water. Heated cement floors in toilet/shower buildings. Just like downtown."
Went and had a look the other day and Jim is not kidding. This facility will definately make you comfortable.
There is a pretty good run of summer steelhead in the Sandy so Spey Clavers should have a chance at some fishing in our area.
Mark Bachmann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Laura and I are looking forward to seeing all our old and 'new' friends at the trailer during this years 'Spey Clave West'.
Welcome, 'One and All'.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Steelhead prospects

Mark, I plan to come down a couple of days early to fish the Sandy. I could use a bit of information to get started. Such as general area of river to fish, sinking line and water conditions ect. Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fred's right, Mark and Patty will return from Turneffe tomorrow, so the site has the most recent info.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
camping

I paln to get up to the clave on Friday and fish Mon/Tue - leaving Wed. I plan to camp at Oxbow if anyone is interested in sharing a site - let me know. I do have a large tent but likely will not bring it unless others want to share. It looks like rain on Sat/Sun!! Hope that falls through!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
“…I plan to come down a couple of days early to fish the Sandy. I could use a bit of information to get started. Such as general area of river to fish, sinking line and water conditions ect. Jerry”

Jerry,

The Sandy is running just north of 2000 cfs and the weather has been on the cool side. In other words, the water conditions should be perfect for fly-fishing. Bring a full floating line and a light sink-tip. All the usual steelhead patterns work well on the Sandy – for this time of year I like to use a Silver and Orange (Bill McMillan pattern), Muddler, Wille Gunn tube, and a MooseTurd (when the water temp begins hovering around 50). There are lots of good places to walkin fish the Sandy. Oxbow Park has a long stretch of good water below the entrance to the park (Girl Scott camp) all the way to the powerlines (one of my favorite runs). There’s also a nice run right below the main exhibition area in Oxbow (I wouldn’t be surprised if Mark uses this water for casting practice). There is long and very fine run called Last Chance immediately above the Oxbow park boat launch, but you have to access the run from the road on the other side (downstream of Gordon Creek). Speaking of Gordon Creek, there is some very good fly-water water upstream of the creek. Park at the creek and walk upstream for about ½ mile and you will see it. There is some very nice fly-water below Dodge Park. Park across from Dodge Park at the bridge and follow the trails downstream. I’ve been told that a landowner has been restricting access to this area, but I’ve never encountered any problems. There are lots of other places you can walkin, but this should get you started for now.

See you at the Clave!
Gordon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts