Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Flyboy
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called last night and made reservations at the Comfort Inn. They said my reservation was last in Spey Clave block. Hope to camp, but hedging my bet with a room if it is going to be a downpour.

What is the buzz on the Clave? Its 3 weeks away and no posts here about anybody's activities. Looks like a great schedule and vendor group again.

Question: Anyone have a prediction how fishing will be in the Sandy around that time for steelhead or Chinook?

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
I hear of plenty of Kings and some Steelies caught every Sandy clave
I'll be there Fri,Sat & Sun-Look for the somewhat shorter long hair Lou Ferrigno look alike:saevilw:
I'll probably be doing some over head two handed casting on the grass
I've allways had a great time at the Sandy-It's one of my Must Be at events

·
Registered
3 Posts
10th Annual Sandy River Spey Clave

I will jump right in this run and tell you what is going on at the 10th clave. :chuckle:
For the 10 annual clave there have been some changes. It is going to be a real Pacific Northwest centered event. Most folks agree that some of the best and most relevant spey casters (and steelhead fly fishers) in the world live in this area. Many new names this year.
The Ladies day is really getting established. Last years spey casting champion and this years winner will both be there along with some very serious talent with some good presentations.
There is a no charge casting class on Friday.
There is the Spey Clave Community Pot Luck Dinner again this year. This will include a video presentation by Brian Okeefe and Catch Magazine that you should NOT miss. The dinner is hosted by the Santiam Spey Casters. No membership needed (not that it's bad idea). If you have an interest in Spey you should include yourself......Bring something to share, should be edible :)
This is a top notch show and dinner.
The lunch this year is going to be catered by the El Burro Loco all three days! Count on seeing me there all three days! Hah!
Dinner is by the Loomis group and is should be just fine, to say the least.
More later........
old bald guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sandy Spey

Sorry! Forgot to mention the Santiam Spey Casters cover the breakfast at the clave. They do this gratis each year just because they are part of the Spey community.
The Stonefly Maidens also show up in force and work their , well let's not offend anyone here, they work hard for all of us there.
Now, if we could get everyone to put this kind of effort in on the river........
if you get my drift.....,
OBG

·
Flyboy
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent... I look forward to the clave, and sounds like there is some fishing opportunities too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spey Clave update

Just found out that the Santiam Spey Casters ask that you bring MORE than, say, just a salad. A speciality that you make or a bucket of chicken or? Prime rib is always good for a spey style pot luck. Apple pie.......I am getting hungry........

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Indeed there is AK.

Excellent... I look forward to the clave, and sounds like there is some fishing opportunities too.
The main beach below the 'Clave will be chock o' block with folks test casting/instructions, etc., but if you (suggest you drive as it's a long walk) head up stream to the area of the boat launch you've got some EXCELLENT 2 hander fly water. Just below the boat ramp is a long/deep pool where the Kings hang out (fellows 'plunk' this water off the beach), but above is all yours. On that note, the river is pretty wide at that point and long casts are a must.

Below the 'Clave site the access road into the park runs right along the river, lots of parking and easy river access. As it's been several years since I fished this bit of water so can't give you much in the way of information on what to expect there.

Maybe someone else can 'chime in' and fill in that blank.

fae

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
One of Spey's great families, the Koran Clan. Olga, Bill, Roman, Carol. These folks are Spey O Rama favorites who missed the last couple of years, and it was terrific to see them again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bob Clay, master guide and famous manufacturer of Bamboo Spey rods. Bob built daughter Kateri's bamboo rod she used to win Spey O Rama two (three?) years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts