Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing special, just your run of the mill typical spey fly

I'm building a few of these for a friend to try in his "secret" waters (nor cal) but he said #1.5 was too big, not possessing anything smaller I just cut and re-tapered an AJ. Acid dyed wee-wool pink, black wee-wool remainder sm flat embossed gold, med French oval silver and gold, found this unique coque tail hackle, not sure if you'll be able to see it in the shrunken size allowed on this site, barbs have very defined barbules on them. I did a 3 strand overhand braid on the gut for this one.

Enjoy,

Matt

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Nice one !!!
I like the "wispy" body hackles !! I have some amazing coque feathers much like you describe . Some have a rainbow of colours flowing through the greenish-black colour and others have a metallic gold throughout . Got to love those hackles :smokin:
I really like your thin dressings , not many tyers still tie with these old school proportions :)
This fly is going to sting a fish ... looks deadly !!

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud, I just can't force myself to tie large diameter bodies, I don't know why. And I don't know I can't force myself to tie in low wings. I know this thing will sink like a rock and with the higher wings will twitch like crazy. I never thought these AJs would look good cut down, but I was wrong

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Thanks bud, I just can't force myself to tie large diameter bodies, I don't know why.
Because you are not succumbing to the N. American style :chuckle::chuckle:
Thick tapered bodies are a N. American thing .
Our UK based fore-fathers tied thin tube-like bodies on Speys , Dees and salmon wets . Body hackles would lay evenly across the body , aiding with setting the underwings of tippet . Nothing more frustrating than trying to set a tippet underwing along a tapered body .... it never looks right . They also knew a thing or two about hydrodynamics . They knew that a fly with less resistance would sink down and stay down and get to where the salmon were to increase the chances of a take ;)

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope so, he's been killin it up there, if he stops catching em on this ill be bummed! Lo\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts