Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In preparing a Spey Casting handout, I wrote the following to help new Spey casters grasp that all Spey casts have the same elements. I would be interested if newer Spey casters thought this was helpful.

When I use the term "every Spey cast" I refer to the swtich, single, snake, snap and double Spey casts.
---------------------------

EVERY SPEY CAST HAS THE FOLLOWING ELEMENTS:
1. Start position: rod tip at water with line washed tight downstream.
2. Lift the rod to free line from water.
3. Reposition the line to place the anchor in desired position.
4. Sweep to D-loop, with rod ending in key position [Key position for an average cast without obstructions is 1 o'clock.].
5. Pause while D-loop forms and anchor aligns 180 degrees from target. [Exception: continuous load technique has no pause]
6. Forward cast.
Note: Switch cast, single Spey and snake roll combine steps 3 and 4 in one fluid motion.

HANDY PNEUMONIC FOR THE ELEMENTS OF EVERY SPEY CAST
S – L – R – S – P -- F. Start, lift, reposition, sweep to D-loop, pause, forward stroke. You can remember S-L-R-S-P-F by “single-lens-reflex [camera], sun-protection-factor [sun block]. The pneumonic describes two things that should accompany every angler.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Bob as a total begginer I have to say I found that very helpful. I think I am doing more of Eric's 6 most of the time!:)
All the best.
Mike.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think I am doing most of eric's 6 myself. When I find myself slowing down to make shorter cast I end up casting farther.:whoa: I just have to figurer things out the hard way.:chuckle:

Great info bob.

Dan

·
Single-Switch-Spey
326 Posts
I think EH is pulling our legs, but his six sound much more like mine. Bob I think yours is very easy to follow in theory, I'll aspire to be more focused on them in my casting attempts. Thank you for trying to help the newbies.

·
Hopeless Romantic...
1,950 Posts
Very well thought out Bob. A good teaching tool.

Of course, for some of us, there are a different set of 6 steps:

1. Jerk
  2. Yank
  3. Speed up
  4. Overpower
  5. Chop wood
  6. Cuss

:rolleyes:

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

C

·
0 Posts
I'd like to add mine to the list

Fling
Fall in

Very well thought out Bob. A good teaching tool.

Of course, for some of us, there are a different set of 6 steps:

1. Jerk
  2. Yank
  3. Speed up
  4. Overpower
  5. Chop wood
  6. Cuss
Fling
Fall in
:rolleyes:

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,257 Posts
I like those too; and as an added twist I like wrap the line around my head and burn the flyline with my cigar, (but I usually save that for riverside casting demos when there's people watching):hihi:

not everybody can pull that off, you know. It's an ADVANCED technique

·
Registered
141 Posts
On the back of my hat is embroidered the following:

Anchor Dee Flick Swing :ll

It works for me when I instruct a new caster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Bob,

Just one note;

[Exception: continuous load technique has no pause]

Please read the FFF LOOP - Spring 2009 - about "Qualify the Pause" before you finish the handout.

Maybe it will change your way of looking at it.

Regards,

William van der Vorst.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Perhaps here in lies my problem(s). My first and only 2 handed casting teacher only told me 2 things. "Use both hands, that is why it is called a 2 handed rod", and "SLOW DOWN". The rest I had to learn on my own.

Nice list.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Ah, what can I say Bob?

As a retired engineer myself, I know how you think. But man, you need to spend more time on the river and less time behind a desk. :tsk_tsk: There are so many nuances to this. It's almost like explaining the basic concept of the 4 stroke engine, and then saying O.K. now go and build a race car engine.

The first thing that comes to mind is step #4 & #5.
4. Sweep to D-loop, with rod ending in key position [Key position for an average cast without obstructions is 1 o'clock.]. Ending? As in stop?
5. Pause while D-loop forms and anchor aligns 180 degrees from target. [Exception: continuous load technique has no pause]

How do you explain that to a newbie, coming from the single hand world where that pause equates to a positive, pronounced stop? Continuous (load) often being thought of as constant, unchanging. As well as accelerate often being misinterpreted simply as "speed up" And then there is this thing about continuous load, but rarely do we hear one speak of constant tension on the line.

Were it me, I would refrain from ever using the word pause, as it is too often thought of as a momentary stop. How about replacing pause with drift? Now try and explain continuous acceleration, with a drift somewhere in there? :Eyecrazy: Zen timing, that's what we're talking about grasshopper. :chuckle:

Now get out from behind that desk and go fishing. :razz:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts