Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy either a Sage One 7116 or 8116 switch rod to fish the Salmon River in New York.

I will be targeting steelhead, but would use the 8116 for Salmon too. If I get the 7116 I will use another option for salmon.
I will be swinging flies 90% of the time.

My question is what is the best choice for year around conditions?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with shawnmsx33, unless your going after kings, a 7wt is the way to go. The 7 wt will be lighter, throw lighter lines, and be more enjoyable for the whole year. You will be good catching up to 15-20# fish, depending on the rod.

Kings are just another ball game, well at least here in the PNW. Normally people targeting them, have a specific rod, 9-10wt range. But these rods aren't very much fun to fish the whole year with.

I fish with an Orvis Access 11' 7wt switch most of the time for steelhead/coho/pinks with no issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i fish the SR with a Sage 7116 one. i dont recommend using it for kings on this river however for steelhead and coho and the occasional moderately sized king, its a fantastic stick capable of throwing many head/tip combos and also fishes gear and high sticks nicely. keep in mind it is not a loose rod by any means. my friends who fish loomis, etc call it a broomstick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.