Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New to the site.
I just spent a few days fishing the Salmon River in NY. The water levels were very high to say the least 2200cfs. My buddies and I managed to find a sweet pool ideal for spey casting and did well with black spey patterns. In a day and a half I landed one steelie about seven pounds and burned two others. Anyone else fishing the Salmon? Later PB

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go Black.

I usally make it a few times each fall and again a few times each spring. A good place to spey is in the upper fly stretch at the tail of the paradise pool. Even in highwater you can fish it. You can never go wrong with black flys on the Salmon.

·
Registered Potamophile
111 Posts
I have yet to hit that river in good conditions.

We were on the Salmon for three days last month with Greg Lui from Whitakers. The river was rocking at 2500 cfs so it was mostly egg patterns with split shot under an indicator fished with a single hander. *ugh* One fish for me.

DSR was closed this time, but on previous trips the Meadow Pool was the two-handed scene. Its a short walk downstream from the parking lot. Above Pulaski, Greg walked me into three very nice riffle-pool-tailout spots with good water for swinging stuff. I could probably find them again if I drive around enough.

Still a conundrum for me. But my buddy Mike took this one on a sucker spawn pattern.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not just the DSR

I agree with Bert on the Meadow pool for being great for spey but I must admit that I do not like spending the money to fish there unless I know that there are fresh fish coming in. For those not familiar with the Salmon River in New York the DSR "Douglaston Salmon River" it the lowest end of the river just before the estuary to lake Ontario. It holds some of the nicest water to fish anywhere on the Salmon. It was originally owned by a past Govenor of New York and it has become a private preserve. It is appx 2 miles of water that is patrolled and they charge $25 per head to fish there. I am not knocking the DSR for keeping it private, after all, it is there right and their income to maintain it. I know of at least 8-9 other pools that are just as nice on the Salmon that are free. Unfortunately many of these are not suitable to hold fish in the high water at present.

·
Registered
293 Posts
hoping to get there soon

SR is running 2200 right now. I fished it last fall at 1800 and did well. used 14' 9wt rod, 15' type 8 tips & (3) split shots to get down. Landing a big fish is tough in most places at this flow. The "pools" are just fast runs. I got all my steelies on a sz 6 black stonefly. Got a big brown on an orange egg pattern.
Prey for a stop to the rain.

jp

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Athough the DSR is sweet, I don't like spending the $25 to fish for the day. I find the stretch of river between trestle and sportsman to be the most spey friendly and least crowed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aren't they closing the DSR to the public after December from now on? You must stay in one of the lodges. Not sure if this was a rumor I heard or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts