Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been a slow start to the steelhead season this year. Mainly due IMO to lack of rainfall and the low level of Lake Ontario at the estuary.
Water Cloud Sky Natural landscape Branch

Yesterday swinging a small Brown/orange/copper cut-shank I lost 2 larger fish but managed to land a 20" female which put up a spectacular fight for her size.
Finger Terrestrial plant Insect Close-up Thumb

This was only my 4th steelhead so far this fall. But getting one of these beautiful creatures to crush a swung fly that you have created imparts a sense accomplishment and satisfaction that makes our method IMO the highest skill level in steelhead angling.
Water Fish Seafood Bait Fishing

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fyi - I appreciate you are not doing hero shots with holding the fish out of the water. I have migrated to trying never to touch the fish in the release and willing to lose a picture, if possible.
Thank you! I also hate in when people drag the fish up on the rocks & sand for a photo and then say the fish was "released". I always have the fish in a few inches of water for a quick photo and length measurement. #Keep them wet

· Registered
Meiser, Sage, Beulah, Hardy, Lamson
442 Posts
Well after a week of 2,000 CFS+ I should be up fishing on Saturday December 3. Fingers crossed the water drops to a wade-able level and the fish have settled in. Would love to fish the dry line but will pack a set of full sinking heads and tips too. Will be upriver from dawn if anyone wants to go on a hike.

· Registered
430 Posts
Either ends of the 2000+ cfs (rise and drop) were pretty productive. Had a great day with 2200 cfs. Love fishing high water. Opens up water that are crowded in any other time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts