Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of a brief window of opportunity today when the weather was half-way decent. I let things warm up a little and didn't get on the water until 10am. Water temperature was 42 degrees which was still high enough for active fish.

I only swung one fly today. This 3" long Black/olive marabou cut-shank with #2 Octopus stinger rigged "Ed Ward style". With the low 350cfs flow coming out of the dam all I needed was a slow sink 2.6 ips polyleader to get down and a 5 ft. tippet of 12lb. test Maxima ultragreen.

On my first pass down the run I picked up this 25" male which made a couple of nice jumps but was easy to control.

I moved down to another run and an hour later a much bigger fish slammed the Black/olive cut-shank and had the Hardy Bougle' screaming on a couple long runs. I had to follow her a ways but managed to land it. A beautiful 30" female.

After this fish I sat down and cut a few inches off the tippet and put a new Octopus hook on and double checked the non-slip loop knot. Man was I glad I did! Working the same spot about 45 minutes later a huge fish slammed it and came flying out of the water like a Bluefin tuna :Eyecrazy: This one took all 50 meters of my Lazar running line out on the first run but then reversed course and came charging back upstream at me. I had to reel furiously to keep the line tight but the Hardy reel performed flawlessly! Eased him down to some calm water were I could land it for a quick photo. He stretched the tape at 31" . My best fish this season. I had lost one other fish today so I figured I would quit while I was ahead. 3 hours fishing = 3 steelhead + 1 lost. A great day! :)

·
Lucky Bastard
753 Posts
Dam Paul,
Imagine what 4 hrs would have done. LOL That last one is a sweet looking toad. Great job. Ill be in the woods for the next few days chasing a freezer of meat. It will be hard as I do love the river after the first snow.

Scott

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Fish can be active at 32F. Brought to hand many GL fish last fall at that temp so don't be so caught up on water temp. Tight lines.

I took advantage of a brief window of opportunity today when the weather was half-way decent. I let things warm up a little and didn't get on the water until 10am. Water temperature was 42 degrees which was still high enough for active fish.QUOTE]

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice job

Very nice fish, my old stomping grounds as I was raised in Sandy Creek and fished on the Salmon since the first Steelhead were there in the late 70's until moving to Alaska in 85. Nice job was that up by Altmar or down river near pineville .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts