Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
It appears to me to be a JW Young reel, I believe a 10B. A bit hard to tell if it's leaded or painted--the former would be probably pre-1930, the latter after. There may be experts on here that would confirm what I think, or not.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,025 Posts
It's the new reel of the future. The pics were taken in 2033.

·
Fishes with Wolves
419 Posts
Absolutely a Young 10B. It has the early style bearing that I associate with the late twenties but have no definitive proof of when they stopped using them. As mentioned above, the finish would help to narrow down the date some as they switched from the leaded finish to enamel in the early thirties. Awesome reels...I have several myself.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
The chipped, rather than smoothly worn, cage rim does suggest this is an enamelled reel of a slightly later date than the leaded variety.

Youngs did make these for a number of outlets, including Farlows, but as there is no impressed stamp on the winding plate, this could have been sold almost anywhere (UK outlets).

Mike

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice old reel , what you have is young made 10B model perfect , without line guide , I'v seen some that did have the line guide , in a 3 3/4 and in a 4 inch

Never one in your size , that's a big reel at 4 1/2 , they don't weigh as much as a old Hardy or Dingley ,

Your reel is also not a leaded one , as for the age of it , could be from the 30's to the 50's , I'd think more so earlly

Good reel and nice find or buy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts