Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has a friend ... yes I know ... who has some of the fishing rights for Skjern Å, and I was asked by this proxy if I would like to show some tying skills with some salmon flies tied specifically for Skjern Å. I know that this river has some salmon that really likes black/yellow/orange and also have an affinity for white winged flies with some peacock at spring. I also know that tube flies with hairwings are the craze at this river, so I have incorporated some fibers as a hat tip to all the fine fly fishers there. So here's the first of the two flies I am tying today for salmon fishing in Skjern Å. See if you can guess the colour scheme of the next fly ;-)

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Very clean! Dressed to kill!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the other fly I intend to give my friend of a friend to fish on Skjern Å. This one is more in line with the steelhead tying tradition, but the colours is well tried with salmon on the Skjern Å, so I guess it will do its thing ;-) So a classic inspired white winged peacock fly and a more contemporary black/yellow/orange fly.

Søren

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
i love that top one and have been struggling with those damn herl fibers sticking up through whatever wing i put on it...very cool and clean looking!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The peacock herl is a mischievious bunch ;-) They tend to have a natural curve, and if you just wrap them they will stick in any direction. You need to cup or nest them into each other so all herls follow the same curve and then tie this to the hook. In the fly above the EP fibers also help to keep the herls well-behaved ;-)

Søren

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The peacock herl is a mischievious bunch ;-) They tend to have a natural curve, and if you just wrap them they will stick in any direction. You need to cup or nest them into each other so all herls follow the same curve and then tie this to the hook. In the fly above the EP fibers also help to keep the herls well-behaved ;-)

Søren
Thank you, i'll try that!!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Would have to say both flies would work just about anywhere. Time to go tie up some white winged flies, thanks for the inspiration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts