3,871 Posts
Love your Style

Can I be a friend LOL

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
Dinky doubles

Those dinky doubles are the bee's knees.:cool:

I notice that a number of salar anglers in North America use small offerings. Flies I've seen from our compatriots on the other side of the pond tend to be large. Does anyone know, is that mere happenstance and Kola salmon will scarf a #6 double as well as a 2/0, or are NA salmon more persnickity? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have not fished for AS on any other continent and i speak from my own observations.

i choose size of flies according to conditions. be it water level, color and speed, temperature, light, sun direction, pressure, season, and every other variable one can think of.
my flies range from 5" tubes to size 16 hooks.
i try to focus on presentation.
a player will play to most offerings if well presented.
the non players are the fun ones and those are the ones i prefer to anoy into biting!

sure, one can only use a size 6 blue charm and do very well with players.......

show them something different.....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
John simply outstanding, I fish pardon fished mostly doubles except for some muddlers but fished them on doubles also with good results,doubles are now banned starting this season here in Nova Scotia

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forbes, i feel your pain. all those hours tying doubles....
i am the first to stand in line with regulations on helping salar survive.
having said that, my mind has changed about the concerns of using doubles vs singles.
they are both lethal and one must come to terms about this being a blood sport at times.
a study done by the university of Laval radio tagged salmon on the Escoumins river to study the effects of catch and release a few years ago. with the help of fishermen, the biologists took clipped samples from a released salmon's adipose fins. they also took samples from salmon that went up the first fish ladder.
there were many interesting results that were found in the 3 year study. unfortunately only published in french.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo... l'eau</em> : bilan d'une saison bien remplie.

although a small sample size and keeping in mind that most salmon caught and realeased were fresh, there was no significant impact to fish survival when using singles or doubles, barbed or not according to the data.
being a participant and speaking with Antoine, the biologist conducting the study, it really cleared up what i and many others feared. that being said, the most important factor in fish survival after being released has to do with length of fight, temperature and exposure to air.
i really love fishing and tying doubles. i now bend the barbs on most of my hooks.
so keep the fights short and keep em in the water whether you use doubles or not.

·
Administrator
19,229 Posts
WOW John :whoa:
Those are incredible .... you know the Ackroyd and Balmoral doubles have to be my favorites :smokin::smokin:

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts