Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will have the opporchancity to travel to a scientific conference in Trondheim between June 20-23, 2005 (i.e. next year). I hope to take advantage and stay for 1 week after this to fly fish for salmon.

Can I prevail on anyone with local knowledge of fly fishing for salmon in the area (Gaula, Orkla etc) to offer some advice.

Specifically, I would like to know:

1) Is accommodation in Trondheim with car hire the best option for daily access to local rivers ?
2) If not, is accommodation near the rivers a better alternative ?
3) Do you have an idea of accommodation costs for 1 week ?
4) What is the price of the fishing and where can I obtain a weekly license ?
5) Are there any other costs involved (national license etc) ?
6) Is late June a good time to fish / what are the likely river conditions ?
7) Any recommendation for the best local river for salmon fly fishing ?
8) Any advice on fly selection would be appreciated (large templedogs, variety of colours ?)

I am from Scotland and normally fish the full season (Feb-Oct) with a 15' spey double-hander using a variety of lines + flies.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Salmon fishing in Trondheim area

You are visting the area of Norway together with Finmark that has the most (and best) salmon fishing to offer. Nidelva in the city centre, Orkla, Gaula, Stjørdalselva and Verdalselva are the best known rivers within easy reach of Trondheim.

1) You would like to go to the river you are going to fish unless you decide to fish Nidelva. I would recommend that you go to one of the other rivers.

3) Do you have an idea of accommodation costs for 1 week ?
Depends on your taste, a cabin or room can be like 200-250 NOK a night. Hotel is more expensive.

4) What is the price of the fishing and where can I obtain a weekly license ?
Roughly from 200 NOK a day on the day ticket beats (can give very good fishing, but can also be crowded and fished with spoons and worms) and upwards depending on your preferences.

5) Are there any other costs involved (national license etc) ?
You need a 180,- national license.

6) Is late June a good time to fish / what are the likely river conditions ?
I fish and would recommend Gaula, but orkla and Stjørdal are also very nice rivers. If we have a normal year waterlevels could be close to perfect in late June and it is close to the best time for fishing.

Check out: .orklaguide.com, orklaguiden.no, gaula.no, bstjordalselva.no I think they offer english text, if not let me know and I'll try to translate or give you more information.

Knut
7) Any recommendation for the best local river for salmon fly fishing ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fishing the Orkla

I spent a week 7/25 - 8/1 this year fishing the Orkla River, also took an advanced spey clinic with Knut Syrstad. The Orkla is about an hour and half drive from Trondheim. If you fish the Orkla I would recommend contacting Trond Syrstad, his website is syrstad.no/ Best way to contact Trond is calling his mobile phone, +4791322413.

I stayed at the Orkla Pensjonat for the week, it was a really comfortable inn, providing breakfast and dinner. Cost of fishing a day, including lodging and meals at the Orkla Pensjonat was 600 NOK (just under USD 100) this year, however pricing may be higher for 2005. You get access to 5 private beats on the Orkla.

End June is not peak salmon fishing for the Orkla, but I was told you can hook up with some big fish then. I was using my GLX Loomis 13ft 8 Wt spey rod and could cover the river just fine. A 14 ft spey rod would be better to handle the larger salmon if you're lucky.

Tight lines,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gaula River

Hi,

you should try the Gaula, 2nd. best river in Norway. Have a look at:

- Gaula.No
-www.Soulofnorway.com

Good luck!

bone

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Folks,

Speaking for the Admin I must remind you that it is against Spey Clave and Forum poilicy to post live links to non-sponsor commercial operations. This is to protect out sponsors. It is not that you cannot refer people to an operation - far from it - we simply ask that you refrain from using live links.

This can easily be done by scrolling down to the Miscellaneous Options below your typing window and deactivating Automatically parse links in text. For this the Admin and our sponsors thank you.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would be interested in how much does the NFC charge for their waters on the Gaula .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nfc

Brian, the prices for NFC range from about 1500-3000Euro. That's fishing and accomodation. Parties of 4 get a slight discount. I would suspect prices might increase this year again, but shouldn't ne that much! I heard the nets might be getting removed from the Trondheim fjord, which may hike the prices up a lot in the future. We'll see.

The NFC water is good, but the guy who runs it has a somewhat tarnished reputation. If you are ever thinking about going to fish the Gaula and indeed NFC, then do your homework first, get all prices quoted in writing and make sure you get what you pay for!

Send me a pemail in you want more info.

cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
Should have mentioned that is for a week, which is Norway is a full 7 days and 24hrs a day if you have the stamina!

It is possible to get fishing for less, but the price has gone up in the last 5 years, as have the catches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts