Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is thinking about joining the Spey Rod addiction club.

He was told that Sage's New 9140-4 VPS is a great entry level rod with the Sage warranty and at a good price.

Does anyone know anything about this rod? Is it an European or traditional or a bastard in between rod re its actions?

It has line recommendations in the new Rio Spey line info which makes the rod look like the Orvis Silver 9 weight 14 piece, 4 piece. That rod is on sale at Orvis for about $340.

He will use the rod mainly for winter steelhead in California and Oregon.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
If this rod follows Sage's VPS "history," which is to bring back older/dc'ed rods but just under a different name and with different components, this rod will be basically the Old Brown traditional Sage 9140-4.

If you do a search through the ISC archives for info on the "old Sage 9140-4" or just "Sage 9140-4" I'm sure you'll find some pretty reliable information about this rod and lines that match it, as well as it's applications.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"What goes around, comes around." Always wanted to

say that.

The "brownie" is a great 'starter rod,' but for the $, don't go there . The green ones (and he will pay considerably more) are a much more advanced rod.

As a 1'st rod, the "old 9wt" was a wonderful! piece of equipment, but no need to pay full retail for yesterdays tech. Still love this rod as a general 'all rounder,' but well loved used rods are too available. The old 'brownie' will cover most fishing conditions (save, realy big water) for most folks.

Sage is running out of ideas for rod improvements to justify a $800 price tag? I'd bet on it at this point.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott K and Fred re the Sage 9140-4VPS

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to convince the guy that the 7141 was all the rod anyone needs for steelhead in Kali and most of Oregon. He wants bigger rod re line size, and he doesn't want to pay that much, then buy a reel, a new line and the backing. He thinks that $1200 for a new fishing toy without even a fly or a leader is a little steep. ($1200 for the whole package, rod, reel, line and backing. )

He wants the warranty that comes with a new rod, even one with old tech.

If he goes for a traditional rod and old tech, he might want to consider the Orvis Silver which is on sale.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Screw all of that

Sages VPS rods, at least for the single handers, are the old RPL blanks with cheaper hardware. The VPSL's are the old RPL- LL series, again with cheaper hardware. I agree with you guys. Sage needed a line of mid priced rods so they resurected some of the old favorites. Is the VPS Spey a 3 or four piece rod? Sage also made a Discovery model 9140 that was somewhere in between the 3 and 4 piece as far as action. Rather than having kind of an odd ball rod, I would opt for a ST. Croix. $265 with a killer case/sock and lifetime warranty that is as good as Sage, or anyone else.

JD

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDJones re Sage's New 9140-4 VPS

Thanks for your remarks.

This Sage rod is a 4 piece rod.

I'm going to make your recommendation and back away. This guy has a record of making up his mind before he gets all the data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts