Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this blank a while back, then eventually got the components to build it up, and recently finished the rod. It's quite a looker, if I do say so myself. I tell myself that the main reason I bought it is because of its similarity to the CND Solstice 13' 4" model, which is difficult, at best, to come by any longer. So I took the Z-axis fishing this weekend and used the same Skagit 450 that I use on my CND. I also use a 7 wt short belly (55') Orvis line on this rod, but didn't have it with me Saturday. It cast just fine, but the Z-axis feels like it might be a shade more powerful than the CND. I am curious what other lines Spey Pagers use on this rod, both for fishing sink tips and full floating lines. Ya' know, just in case I need an excuse to buy and try more gear.

Thanks for any input.

Sg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own this rod. I was using a Delta Spey. The guy at my local fly shop recommended a 510 gr Airflo Rage. Wow!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
You can go even higher for big bugs and heavy winter tips, a 550 beercan will haul a load of hay on that rod, Steve.
480-510 is a nice weight for a compact scandi head on it, at any length so long as it's 2.6-2.75 rod length.:saevilw:

She's a lady, like a CND, and treats you better the easier you go on her, but totally suits your cast as I've seen it. Has faster recovery than the CND so is more snappy and less massy. You haven't morphed into a fiddler crab phenotype since I've last seen you have you?:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts