Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can anyone tell me about the VXP 7133 from Sage. I'm looking for a rod for my wife, she's a relative beginner. She has cast the 7136 z-axis, a few of my rods (Burkheimers), and is currently using my old Sage 6126. She liked the z-axis the best but that rod is hard to find.

How different is the VXP? What is the flex like?

Thanks guys/gals

·
Registered
155 Posts
My thoughts on 7133 VXP

No experience with the Z so I wouldn't know how to compare it to that so I may not be much help. I can tell you that everyone i've ever heard of with the 7133 VXP has been very happy with it. I love mine to death. I would definitely describe it as progressive with a rather stiff butt section. Definitely doesn't bend down deep like a Scott LS2 or anything like that. Still works great throwing a skagit line though. I prefer a 525 but if you want to slow it down the 540 is nice. Definitely more of a 7/8 in power. One big gripe I have is that it has a very small upper grip making it somewhat difficult to balance. I have mine balanced perfectly with a Speyco skagit titanium S handle that ways over 12oz. Thats a lot for a 7wt barely over 13ft. Overall though I think its an awesome rod especially for the price. And a rod I don't think i will ever get rid of just because it makes an awesome backup rod or rod for friends/family to use.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It is a great casting rod. I liked the Airflo 510gr skagit, but the 540gr works good. The only flaws are:

1. It is tip heavy, and requires a heavy reel to balance it out. 12 oz or larger. I used a Speyco Skagit to balance mine.

2. It is a heavy rod in general. A 7wt @ 8-1/4 oz, is a heavy rod. Compared at the Sage One 7wts- 12'6" = 6-3/8oz, 13'6" = 7-5/8oz. A Sage One 13' 10wt weighs 8-1/4 oz.

But other than weight, this rod is a dream to cast. One of the few rods I could just launch out big casts first 5 minutes on the water with it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I disagree with everything said. If she likes the 7136 Z Axis, the she will dislike the 7133 VXP, promise.

IMO the VXP is slightly heavy, clunky action, not much feel and line-sensitive. If I actually owned this rod, I'd trade it out for ... well most anything in the price range really. Not deep loading and not for beginners. IMO there are far better rods for a lot less money out there.

Compared to the 7136 Z Axis (the one I assume you're talking about her liking), its at the opposite end of the spectrum. The 7136 has a deep flex and is pretty smooth, the VXP doesn't flex in the bottom half and doesn't feel smooth. The 7136 Z Axis suits my tastes well, its a gem, and I quite dislike the 7133 VXP.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Suggestion

Get her to a shop where she can try out a Beulah Platinum 7132. I think this rod will suit her well. Light weight, deep loading, and easy to cast.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ditto on the Beulah.

But I don't say so because she likes the 7136 and the action is similar, it's just an easy rod to cast and affordable. But I can't imagine any woman liking the 7136, in fact it's my least favorite rod I own. I find it to be very tiring to cast. It has a relatively short top grip and is very "top heavy" compared to other rods I own. It loads deep and takes more effort to cast. I love spey casting but I'm a budget caster and don't own any "high end" rods. To me they're just a tool to get the fly out there, so I don't spend more than necessary for a quality rod. For comparison, I own a Z-Axis 6126, a Beulah Platinum 7132 and my all time favorite rod, the Scott ARC 1287. Cast any of these side by side to the 7136 and you'll see what I mean by "top heavy". So if you're casting for an hour, no big deal. But if you're casting all day...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the VXP 7133 and love mine. Without all the tech talk on loading etc... I'm certainly not the worlds best caster but I can really punch the line out with it better than other rods I have tried. I will second the front handle being a bit short, Sage would have done the rod a huge favor with a down locking reel seat. I too have mine balanced with a SpeyCo Skagit reel and find it a very nice match and feels good in hand. As for line sensitivity I haven't noticed any loss of feel compared to other rods but that like most things is an individual thing. Does it have the same feel as some of my other rods? No but I don't expect it to feel like my like 4,5,& 6 wts and I also didn't break the bank on it either.
Super rod for the money in my opinion.
Have mine lined with 525 Rio Skagit 23ft

·
Registered
371 Posts
All in all, the VXP is a heavy rod. This kills the feel, and makes the action feel sluggish in comparison to new rods. There are better rods out there for the money. Personally, I would look for a Sage One or Winston Boron II(or Boron III), as these rods are absolutely awesome! Lightweight and a dream to cast. But depends on your budget.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
The 7136 z-axis is a dream to cast, I love this rod and fish it frequently. I do not own the 7133'VXP, but my fishing buddy has one and we like it a lot. True it is very different from the Z, but I don't think it's fair to sayings a bad rod. It throws a tight scandi loop, and can huck some big tips with a 510-540 skagit. It can be tiring to practice cast with, but for fishing, it's quite nice IMO. It may not be the right rod for your wife, but I think it's a solid performer.

Honestly, this may sound weird, but the Echo 3, 7130 has a similiar action to the z-axis, it's pretty inexpensive and great bang for the buck. Sure it's heavier than the Z, but the flex is pretty darn close. I think you should give this rod a chance if your set on the Z. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I disagree with everything said. If she likes the 7136 Z Axis, the she will dislike the 7133 VXP, promise.

IMO the VXP is slightly heavy, clunky action, not much feel and line-sensitive. If I actually owned this rod, I'd trade it out for ... well most anything in the price range really. Not deep loading and not for beginners. IMO there are far better rods for a lot less money out there.

Compared to the 7136 Z Axis (the one I assume you're talking about her liking), its at the opposite end of the spectrum. The 7136 has a deep flex and is pretty smooth, the VXP doesn't flex in the bottom half and doesn't feel smooth. The 7136 Z Axis suits my tastes well, its a gem, and I quite dislike the 7133 VXP.
This is my exact take on the VXP7133. The VXP6129 on the other hand is quite nice!

·
231 Posts
This is my exact take on the VXP7133. The VXP6129 on the other hand is quite nice!
How heavy of a fish do you think the VXP 6129 could handle? I'm very interested in purchasing this rod to fill my 6 weight need, but I've also heard it's closer to a 7 weight. I just can't imagine fighting a 15lb steelhead in 1000cfs current, what do you think? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If fishing 1000 cfs streams the 7129 would be great. On bigger rivers I tend to like a little more length, but I had a great day on the Skagit with it. It is pushing being a 7wt. As far as 15lb fish, I think it will handle them. Most of us can expect the occasional big fish(and have fun improvising a bit) but in all reality most fish will be 10-12 even on a river known for biggish fish. Just my 2 cents.

·
231 Posts
Yeah I've thrown the accel 7126 and 8136 loved them both, but I agree that the 6129 VXP is the sweetheart of the VXP lineup, I've only test casted, never fished. I just don't have a 6 weight spey rod yet, and I'd be weary of using one on the salmon river where 15-20lb steeliness are common, even with my 8110 Z those fish take me for a hell ride. And an 11' 8 wt. has a ton of backbone & leveraging power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up a 7133-4 in December as a first spey rod, due to the deep discount (I got mine for $450 CDN new, local shop) and to loving my VXP 790-4. I have it to compare to my buddy's TFO Deer Creek and Beulah Platinum. I'm not a great caster, but like the snappy Scandi casting with it and feel it's a good rod. I prefer Skagit casting with the Beulah, though. It is a heavier rod, yes - I'm gonna be happy I have it in the fall if I snag a Chum, perhaps, but I think I would have enjoyed the 6129 more. It's a good first rod for me, but my dream Vancouver Island summer/winter rod is probably a One in a 6126(?) or 7126. It's hard and unfair to compare a 5 year old midrange rod with the latest top end, to be sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will add to the above that I use mine with a Sage Domain 9/10, due to wanting a reel which is saltwater safe, and which will double as a proper bonefish/permit reel. It's 8.5 ounces or so and still a little light for the rod, but workable. If I were just using it in freshwater I would have bought a Marquis 2 for it, which is more like 10 ounces and makes a much nicer noise to boot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts