Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a Sage VXP 6wt and am (hopefully) looking at for a do it all line.

I have been using a Vector Ballistic full line on my 14' rod for the Clearwater. I really appreciated the integrated line and the reduced stripping when casting. But have mostly been using smaller flies and floating or intermediate poly leaders.

So I plan to use this rod for smaller to mid sized water and will want to throw some bigger stuff.

I like the thought of the Rio Scandi short with tips, but it only comes as a head not integrated. Also does how does it handle heavy flies.

As mentioned I really like the Vector but do not want to chop up the line to accommodate tips.

So that leaves the Nextcast FF. I believe this is an integrated line and has the looped tip for sink tips or poly leaders. So may be the best choice? Wondering 40 or 45 foot head for this rod?

·
pearl jammin'
382 Posts
The 6129 VXP is my all time favorite stick.
I throw the 7/8 RIO Short Head spey on it which I love. That weighs in similarly to the 6/7 FF. 475 Skagit Max Short for big stuff and a 450 Scandi or #7 Scandi VersiTip also work very nicely for smaller to mid sized bugs with my stroke.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sage VXP6126-4

Keep in mine that this rod is really a 7wt. and is not a longbelly type of rod. I'm not saying you can't throw that kind of line just why would you want to on small to mid-sized water. Stripping on small water is largely a non-issue given the shorter casts that are needed to fish effectively and if large flies are your preferred weapon then a Skagit or Rage type of line will be a little more versatile when using the tips needed to deliver them. I use a 450 Scandi for dryline summer work and a 480ish Rage type for winter when I will be using tips.
This is a great rod sold at a less than premium price, a very good value.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Steve godshall. End of conversation... Not being rude but that's the man to talk to about a custom line.... I'm sure you could buy an airflo runner and weld it to a scandi head, I don't know why I've never thought of that, New project!

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Keep in mine that this rod is really a 7wt. and is not a longbelly type of rod. I'm not saying you can't throw that kind of line just why would you want to on small to mid-sized water.

At 3.3X rod length, a NextCast 45 is hardly a long-belly line. However, the integrated lines are not being offered now in less than a 7/8 rating.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Rio Scandi Short versitip does pretty good with big flies. WA 45 not as well. It can do it, sure, but it will take more work. If you want effortless, go with the Scandi short versitip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately, the 7/8 NC 45 full line is going to feel very heavy on the 6129. I use a 5/6 NC 45 that's great with it, but not available as an integrated line. The 7/8 Rio Short Head that Aaron mentioned is very nice on the rod. The original 6/7 Delta is nice too. Not sure about casting big flies with any of the lines I mentioned, as I have never tried it. I leave the bigger stuff to skagit heads.

briansII

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a fantastic TH Rod. I always enjoyed fishing a RIO Scandi head with the Versi leaders if I needed a sink tip. Remember that this rod is a 6wt. You can throw mid sized flies with it put keep in mind that heavy sink tips and large flies are not optimal for this rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts