Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a new 15ft 10wt rod.The sage 10151-4 and T&T 1510-3 blanks are the two under consideration.The rod will be used mainly for speycasting rather than overhead.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
254 Posts
T & T. Don't own one, but have tried them and like 'em better than my Sage in that size. It is too bad the CND Salar blanks aren't availiable, I think you would like that a lot better.

Matt

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for in rod action. I own the T&T 1510-3 and think that it along with the GLX 15 ft 10/11 are the finest 15 ft 10 wts on the market. However, I like fast, progressive rods (what I have found many call an extra fast rod) and the T&T 1510-3 is a fast, progressive and powerful rod. I fish it with the GS 8/9 most of the time because I prefer to use the long-belly lines.

The Sage is a much slower rod (really a medium-action rather than the fast-action Sage claims it is) than the T&T and has a butt section that is not quite as powerful as the T&T. And there have been breakage problems with the Sage (that have supposedly been fixed with a slight design change in the rod), which I'm not sure have been fixed through a design change in the blank. The Sage also doesn't really like being cast with the long-belly lines and seems to work best with the mid-belly or shorter lines. Additionally, although Sage claims it is a 10/11, it is really more of a 9/10 rod.

Both the Sage and the T&T 15 ft 10wts cast the same lines (except for the long-belly lines where the Sage works better with 7/8 GS or 8/9 XLT's while the T&T likes the 8/9 GS or 9/10 XLT).

Again the choice comes down to what you want in a rod. Do you want fast, progressive and powerful rod; or do you want a medium, progressive rod? That is what the choice should be based upon: You'r preferences for rod action and not someone the preference of someone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.