Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a Scandi on this rod, if so what are you using ? Inquiring minds need to know. ;)

TIA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have that rod, wonderful to cast. Light in the hand, easy loading.
A pleasure to fish with. I had a 4wt Redington Hydrogen before but upgraded. No comparison.
I use it for Smallmouth Bass, fishing mainly with large 1/0 Gartside Gurglers.
The line I use is the 4# Rio InTouch Trout Spey shooting Head. 305 grains at 22 ft.
Im fishing on the surface so I have a 9ft tapered Bass leader with about 3ft of of 10lb maxima on the end.
Turns over with authority.
One of the plusses of this line is you can put it on a medium action 7wt Single Hander and it Single Speys
like a dream. Truly impressive on how far it casts.
Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I appreciate this isn't my thread, but this is great information to have - thank you.

I suppose I'm a bit torn between the 3110 and the 4113. I really enjoy swinging soft hackles for trout and grayling, but I have a 3wt Hydrogen already so it would be a direct replacement if I went that way. Whereas the 4wt appeals as I could specifically target some bigger fish, sea trout here, smallies there, larger trout on bigger flies etc. If the 4wt fishes soft hackles nicely as well then that would be the answer.

I thought about the 2wt option, but I think once I get down that far in terms of lightness, length, finesse I'd be just as happy to use a 3/4/5wt single-hander.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I appreciate this isn't my thread, but this is great information to have - thank you.

I suppose I'm a bit torn between the 3110 and the 4113. I really enjoy swinging soft hackles for trout and grayling, but I have a 3wt Hydrogen already so it would be a direct replacement if I went that way. Whereas the 4wt appeals as I could specifically target some bigger fish, sea trout here, smallies there, larger trout on bigger flies etc. If the 4wt fishes soft hackles nicely as well then that would be the answer.

I thought about the 2wt option, but I think once I get down that far in terms of lightness, length, finesse I'd be just as happy to use a 3/4/5wt single-hander.
I fish a lot of Sage One trout Spey in Colorado. I don’t have any experience with the HD but I can give you my gouge on the One. I fish the 2109 in smaller streams, smaller fish or in medium to large rivers when the conditions are skinny and clear with spooky fish. It has a nice delicate touch on scandi and will chunk nice size buggers with small cones or small beads on skagit. I love the moderate action feel of the 2109. The 3110, my weapon of choice for almost every trout sized stream. It will throw baby gonga’s, cone head buggers down to the smallest north country spider. Performs well with scandi and skagit. My go-to rod for almost everything but Galloup sized streamers. The 4116 rarely sees action in my quiver because I’m using either a 3 or 5 weight more often. That said, the 4wt trout Spey is king in Colorado. It will throw medium weighted to the lighter weighted larger streamers. Cone heads and bead heads - no problem unless you seek to chuck Galloup sized articulated streamers. For that you’ll want a 5wt minimum....if you’re going to get any distance with your rod. You can throw these flies a shorter distance on the 4wt but I like having the longer reach of the 5wt for those situations where it is warranted (not often). Hope that helps on the weight options. I don’t have any experience with the HD series. I’m looking forward to reading more replies. Hope this helps....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts