Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PNW guys and gals, (and others,)

What is the take on the 9140-4 Sage traditional Spey ? What is the reputation of the rod and has anyone fished this model or still own this model? What is good about it and what other brands/models would you consider top shelf?

I know you are going to tell me you have to define the use for the rod, so let's say Olympic Peninsula, general use. I'm limiting my rod inventory theoretically because long wands are such an investment in the high end gear.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This was my first 2-hander, I bought it about 10 years ago. It is a rather slow and noodly rod that I have not fished for 6 years, which is when I bought a GLX 13 ft 8/9 for summer fishing. I have not been able to find a line weight that I like on this rod due to its noodle-like characteristics.

I know there are many who recommend it as a first 2-hander but I disagree with them. I have not met very many 2-handed user who still have the 9140-4 in use after about 3 or 4 years. Nearly all 2-handed users move on to a somewhat faster rod that has some power and authority in its action.

Yes, the noodle-like action will allow you to make a cast when the anchor is placed in the wrong place or when a bit too much line stick is present. However, this only leads to developing bad spey casting habits that become amplified when you get a rod with more authority.

I have used Windcutter 9/10/11, Windcutter 8/9/10, Windcutter 7/8/9 on this rod and don't like any of them. The 9/10/11 overloads the rod badly, the 8/9/10 loads it OK but the rod feels like a wet noodle with it, and the 7/8/9 allows you to cast the line with a bit more authority; however, the line feels a bit too light for the rod and the rod is still a noodle with this rather undelined combination. The 10/11 MidSpey is virtually useless on this rod it overloads it so badly. the 9/10 MidSpey has to rod feeling like a noodle that can cast if you really enjow fishing a noodle. The 8/9 MidSpey cast a little better; but it feels too like the line is too light and it still feels like you are casting a noodle. The 10/11 Accelerator badly overloads the rod making it very difficult to cast decently. The 9/10 Accelerator has the rod doing its bet to cast the full belly' but you have to move the rod through a huge and slow arc to get it to cast the whole belly, let alone shoot some line. The 8/9 Accelerator cast best of the Accelerators; however, it still is a noodle that makes you work harder than you should to cast.

Forget the 10/11 GrandSpey or XLT on this rod. They will badly overload it and may break the rod. The 9/10 GrandSpey or XLT will overload it badly beyond 70 feet and it will still be a noodle. The 8/9 GrandSpey or XLT is not liked by this rod either, its noodle-like qualities hamper the use of this long belly lines badly because the rod flexes all the way through the rod handle when using even the 8/9 GrandSpey or XLT.

I have also used the SA Salmon Spey line in both 10/11 (very badly overloads the rod) and in 8/9 (the noodle-like qualities of the rod make it difficult to cast it consistently without a lot of concentration and I do not like to feel the rod bend all the way into the lower grip of the rod, and this rod does bend all the way into the lower grip under load.

To be fair, if you use an 8/9/10 Windcutter and take both tip 1 and tip 2 off the line, it will cast OK despite is very slow, noodle-like action. However, this means you are only casting a line that is about 40 feet long. And you are then using a shooting head with a 2-handed rod. It is far cheaper to use a single hander with a shooting head to do the same thing.

Unless you already own this rod, do yourself a favor and look at getting a rod with more power and authority in its butt section with a wee bit quicker action. The Black or Yellow Loops and the lowest priced CNDs come to mind as rods that are slower, more traditional but that have power and authority as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9140-4

The reason I was asking about the rod is someone had one for sale but couldn't really tell me much about the rod, now I understand why. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experience with the 9140-4 model. The price was attractive but the noodle action would have been a disaster.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the old brown 9140-4
I think it was a great rod to start on. yes it lacks butt but for a beginner it loads and unloads nicely. I cast 90' consistantly with this rod and can shoot more when needed. yes it takes alittle more work and you often have to wait on the rod, but for someone getting into spey casting this is a low cost rod for starting.

You, If serious about spey casting, will out grow this rod, but I think its a good starter rod.........Nate

M

·
0 Posts
Wow, Flytyer, eight paragraphs and 13 noodles. Something Freudian here? :devil:

mmm

...a 9140 owner. :p

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not to come to 'her' defense, AGAIN, but I too own the 9140-4 brownie. Nothing to hide in the closet.

I have read so many posts about the rod being soft in the butt. From my perspective, it is the tip that is soft and 'noodley' which requires the right line and a soft hand to get the fullest out of the rod. Once you SLOW down, as in- learn to cast with finesse rather than testosterone, this rod is a great rod.

A windcutter 7/8/9 is about as perfect a combo as you will need. Midspey 7/8 is a touch light, but pleny do-able. I like a midspey 8/9 on it best as I just slow the stroke down, let her load, and it pretty much casts itself to any reasonable fishing distance required for 99.9% of ALL fishing conditions.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Inland,

The 9140-4 brown rod is soft in the butt, it was designed that way. That is why the butt section of the rod is of a smaller diameter than the section immediately next to it. This makes the butt section slower and of less power than the next section up.

Mean Mr. Mustard,

Freud would not want a noodle either!

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Beginners rod with the beginners line"

I own and have cast a number of rods. I really do not like to hook a Columbia tributary steelhead on anything heavier than a 9140. The 8/9 wincutter works very nicely on this rod. After 10 years with the Spey rod I guess I will always be a beginner. The old 9140 as Derick Brown has stated is a good 90 foot rod. 90 feet will catch enough fish and you can enjoy the battle. Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts