Spey Pages banner

Sage TCX 7126-4

10K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  David Dalan 
#1 ·
I am having problems with this rod. I just can't seem to line it right. It is very tip strong and does not load with the lines I have for it. I have tried a 7 wt 54 ft head by Rio, no luck. I had a custom line by a well known fella on this site still no luck, I have a delta 7wt 55 ft head not too bad.
My question is where do I go from here? Some guys are saying that it is a light 9wt in reality and I should over line it. I have more lines that I can try, I'm just wondering what other guys are using on theirs. That custom line is a scandi at around 500 gr.
any thoughts are welcome.
:confused:

#4 ·
I would not put that rod up in the 9wt. category but very close to 8 weight.

I like the 510 rage on the rod. Rage 540 was a bit too heavy. For Skagit and Airflo 540 switch is money, I tried 525 Rio short and 575 (590) rio short also. Airflo 510 intermediate is good on that rod also.

I haven't tried any mid-spey lines on it - but if I have time this weekend I will give the Nexcast WA 55 7/8 a whirl and reply back.

#6 ·
Hello.. I cast mine this past summer, if you try something like a #8 Scandi short, you´ll find a very smooth, relaxed rod. If fitted with a #7, timing MUST be correct, and the snappy rod will boom out the line. I tested it with a #7 in daylight, great. But it was another story in the dark. Regard it as a # 7½ - 8, for most casters. I had a #8 SA F/I Scandi, incorporating the stupid, flimsy tip, on my ZA 8129. Cut it back 3´, was.. OK. Cut another 2´, and put it on the Death Star instead. Juuust short of 34´, sinking part 10´, 500 grains, not the most delicate line, but it REALLY delivers! Check the other posters here for other line designs. When you line it right, and use correct underhand technique, you´ll understand why the rod is so highly regarded. Promise.. Good luck. Yours borano20

#7 ·
I use a 480 steelhead scandi to great effect (but looking to try a 510 just for grins). On the skagit side, a 525 flight casts well, as does a 525 skagit short for me. I have also used a 540 airflo skagit intermediate - handles it fine, although for me a lighter one might be more fun. I tend to prefer middle to lower ends of the grain windows on all my rods, I find.

#8 ·
it's a meat stick

The deathstar is not a graceful rod in my estimation. It'll throw big birds a Long way with a nicely timed stroke. 540 airflo skgt or switch and at least 12' of t-11. Long lines would be nicer on aslower rod. The deathstar will punish a flawed stroke. Gotta do everything right and it will really chuck some long casts. Took me forever to get it right. I only fish it when fishing tips and sunken flies.

#9 ·
The deathstar is not a graceful rod in my estimation. It'll throw big birds a Long way with a nicely timed stroke. 540 airflo skgt or switch and at least 12' of t-11. Long lines would be nicer on aslower rod. The deathstar will punish a flawed stroke. Gotta do everything right and it will really chuck some long casts. Took me forever to get it right. I only fish it when fishing tips and sunken flies.
I agree, and that's why I've kept the Deathstar - to use mainly in the winter. Although the 480 scandi works well for me on the Deathstar, I acquired a different rod this past summer for that purpose and it's quite a lot more fun.

#11 ·
I've only had experience with skagit's on my deathstar. I tried a 550gr skagit and hated it. Happened to have a 480gr Skagit Switch lying around and tried that and actually really like it. Though I'm tempted to try the more mainstream 510-525gr recommendation. Also usually have a 10' tip of t-8 or t-11.

#12 ·
SA short head

I've had a couple of these rods...
Best line I found on it was SA short head 8/9 I cut back 5-10 ft. or so till it came in . It smoked on it... A cnd gps 7/8 was pretty nice, but the rod's a little more finicky with the longer line...
Best of luck, pretty cool stick when it gets dialed in, too bad it wasn't 13'6"-

#13 ·
Rio Scandi Short versitip #8 is awesome on that rod if you dont get too big and ugly and nasty with weighted bugs. FF or WA 45 would probably be great in a 7/8. Some guys have had great luck with a Rio Skagit flight of 525 grains with 10 or 15' tips and unweighted or lightly weighted flies. Its no 9 weight but with the longer lines you might like it with an 8/9. I agree with Rob, should have been at least 13'6. 14' would have been better.:hihi: Hi Rob.

Reactions: SpeyRey
#14 ·
That's my winter OP rod. I tried a lot of lines on it too, and all the comments about that rod are pretty much right on- experienced casters say it's picky but a blaster when you're on, less experienced guys tend to overline it just to tame the beast and make it easier to time.
IMO, not a rod for beginners.

I've settled on a 510 gr Skagit switch head for it. It allows a very short d-loop for tight quarters and it'll haul a load of hay. But if you need to get out there on occasion it'll do that too, and is enough rod to handle a medium Chinook if you have a little room to fight.

#15 ·
I would have to agree to all comments above. I first started on Rio 550 flight and 550 Rio Skagit Max......but love it when I had the timing down and went to/currently using 525 Skagit Max and iFlight. And of course I hated the rod at first and got rid of it......but was fortunate to purchase the same rod from who I had originally sold it to.

I have also tried the Airflo Rage in 480 and 510......and TIMING IS EVERYTHING with the Rage. But I dialed it with the 510gr.

All in all.....in my opinion this stick is great with Skagit head, thus going to be my late Fall and Winter stick. The key thing is never give up on this stick and it'll be your best friend when you need it!!!

#16 ·
Tcx 7126

I think most of us are in a general agreement here, although it's hard to tell. This was my first serious spey rod, my first was a soft switch.

This rod is money with an Airflo Compact Scandi 510, Airflo Rage 510 or a Rio Skagit Short 525. I guarantee these line recommendations, Pere.

I've cast and fished an Airflo Skagit 540, AFS 7/8, FF45 7/8, & 8/9, even a FF70 8/9. It will do it all. It is a fantastic rod, although I haven't fished mine in 2 years. I don't think I'll ever sell it. The Deathstar is going down in Spey history as one of "those rods".

#17 ·
Airflo 540 Skagit Switch

This has been an interesting rod for me. It is simply a tough rod to get right with combination of line/casting stroke. I feel pretty experienced (15 years) and have experience with many rods. It is definitely not a beginners rod and, like others have said, will punish missed timing. I have had it for a couple years and tried it off and on, That being said, I just got done spending a week in BC fishing this extensively with different lines and I can tell you I now have what works for me.
- 525 Rio Skagit Flight for light tips (type 3/6) and versileader
- 540 Airflo Skagit Switch for T11 and T14. I would definatley start here - It is absolutely money and seems perfect with this line and 12' T14 and unweighted fly (2" to 4").
Best of luck - I now will find this rod as my winter stick for sure.

#18 ·
525 rio skagit short is my favorite line with that rod, with 10-13 feet of T-11 or T-14. The Rio Skagit Max in 525-575, Airflo Skagit Compacts/Switch 540-570, all work well. Probably start out with something heavier and once you start "getting" the personality of the rod you will want to go with something lighter. Like the feel of lighter scandis in the ~480 range. It's not that heavier lines don't with this rod, it just has a unique feel being as fast as it is with lighter lines that I really enjoy fishing with.

It also likes the 540 grain rio unispey or the 520 grain Rio Short Head Spey.

#20 ·
I have a very simple things to say. Rio skagit 525 gr and 12' of t-14 for the winter work.
And you only need 450-480 gr Rio scandi line for summer skating. Dont forget in both cases you need to have proper length of the leaders and that is particularly important in Scandi work.
There is a good dvd issued by John Hazel a very thorough fisherman and great spey instructor . His dvd will teach you how to dial in the length and wt of your line for a particular rod length. I am sure you know how important is that
Lot of people just buy a line and think that is it. Line the reel and cast.
Wrong,Wrong, Wrong. Check the dvd, refresh your knowledge, it helps.

#21 ·
I have read all of the comments and thank everyone for their input. However, I do not add t tips and do not fish sunk flies as the rivers I fish are not that deep. I also got into two hand rods because I wanted to cast less not more. This means that I do not like lifting the line once to get it out of the water and cast again to get to the intended target. I agree with most of you as the rod being very finicky and wanting each cast to be spot on. I have thought about selling it and then don't really want to. I have many rods and will put this away until I gain more confidence. Right now my zaxis 1307 fits my ability and is by far my favorite. I like to fish the longer bellies and skagit and scandi do not appeal to me.
I was not able to try the 540 skagit with the deathstar but I will. I guess I will add lengthier leaders to get more stick on the water.
Thanks again for all the input, it was well read and I have respect for all of your comments.
Pere ( Pierre)

#23 ·
well Mike, I should further qualify by saying experienced underhanders, because having scandi experience does help with a stick like the DS.
Habituated longbelly guys would tear their hair out with this thing, generally speaking. A quick, tippy, compounded taper that blazes with a well-timed, compact stroke.

I guess to further qualify on that, Andersson-style underhanders will totally get this rod. But I'm not sure that was Sage's intention, I'm really not sure what they were thinking. Does anybody have the history?

#26 ·
I have fished mine with a 510 Scandi, and it was fairly unforgiving stick with that line on, but I could still bomb out some casts. 99% of the time it has a 550 grain iFlight and tips up to T-17. Most of my work is with 10' of T-11 or T-14. I just fished an iMow tip (5/5 T-11) and really liked it. Always flicking the line off the tip when I cast.

Definitely a Skagit rod IMO, and not a great platform for longer lines...again IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.