Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wht's the word on this rod line? Any ideas how such extreme speed will match a spey caster's needs?

Zach

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Zack,

Keep in mind that the stiffness and recovery rate of the graphite used to make a rod has very little to do with how the rod flexes under a casting load. For example, the CND Custom Series rods are made of a pretty stiff and very fast recovering graphite; however, they are not a fast rod by any stretch.

As for how a fast recovering, stiff rod meets spey casting needs, it depends on the type of action the caster prefers, the flex profile of the blank, whether the blank is progressive or regressive in how it distributes increasing casting loads, the line being used, and the skill of the caster. As I've made not secret, I like fast recovering, medium-stiff to stiff, progressive rods with a strong tip so the tip doesn't collapse when casting a long-belly line. Many folks consider rods of this type (T&T, Loomis GLX) to be too fast and stiff for good spey casting; however, there are many of us who don't like a rod unless it has these characteristics.

Therefore, the answer to your question on whether they would meet the needs of spey casters is: It depends on the caster and what he likes in rod action.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
TSR??? and Flytyer

I eagerly await the unveiling of this rod. I am curious as to how this rod will work with my casting stroke??? :confused: :confused: :) :) :) Either way, I agree with Flytyer in his summation that it depends on the caster and what he is looking for rod action.

Flytyer, I picked some of your flies from Aaron, nicely tied and they are quite durable. (rocks, pilings, fish, bulkheads, the list goes on and on and on and on!)

Vinnie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Loophitech--

Glad you like the flies of mine you got from Aaron. You have found out that durable doesn't equate with bulky or large heads in flies. Well-tied flies with good proportions swim better than those that are overdressed, look better, and are very durable when tied correctly. Now get some fish on them instead of rocks and pilings, etc. ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bachman at The Flyfishing Shop is saying he has them in stock. He is a sponsor, check his site and look it up under current newletter.

William

·
Registered
149 Posts
I casted a TCR twohander of twelwesomething feet for a line 9/10 the other day at the Nordisk Fiskeutstyr (the major fly shop in Oslo) on their casting platform on the river just outside. Please note that my impressions are from just some few minutes casting with a Scandinavian shooting head system.

This is in my opinion a rod for those who wants a VERY fast and stiff short rod for spey casting. It casted way faaar and despite I did not investigate its bending curve, I am pretty sure the rod has a very good and even bending curve - for a stiff rod like this it means that also the tip section is very stiff and even!

My experience with longer spey lines is not the biggest, but its hard to see how this could be a rod for anything else than scandinavian shooting head systems.

Just maybe to give you an idea of the stiffness of this rod: My favourite type of rod in this range is typically a Loomis GLX 13. Compared the the TCR sage - the Loomis is almost spaghetti.... ;) (ok - very good spaghetti, then!)

Typical use? River with big fish but limited space, yet need for long casts, fishing heavy shooting lines and big flies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lt`s 12.9"-# 9 l have one of the first inn skandinavia inn my store, l will get back to you when l tryd it. but l can tell you it looks very nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts