Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local fly shop in Tacoma today and put my paws on one, though I did not cast the beast. One of the fly shop keepers said he has sold 4 so far and the guys that bought them were quite pleased. The rod sold for $865 or $895. I don't remember exactly.

The rod I saw was the 9129-4 and it was actually a little heavier than I was expecting. Has anyone else cast or seen them? Maybe Aaron will have one for casting demos??? :devil:

Any other reports on this rod???

Vinnie

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Sandy Clave

had several of this series available for testing. I am sure they will be there again next year. I was following other interests myself, so did not try them.

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
i managed to try the #8,9 & 10Wt's this past weekend at a mini Clave.
although i'm a novice caster it was easy to tell these were far beyond my capabilities.

this line loads so fast it's easy to get your timing off and create all sorts of errors. they were a bit on the heavy side for my liking. but man do they toss out a fair bit of line effortlessly. probably a good Saltwater stick tough.

i'm hoping a #7Wt in this line comes avail next year :cool:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.

SMR,
I also thought it was a bit heavy and I had no concerns about it throwing line. I hope to try one soon!

Vinnie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fished one for about seven days on the Kispiox two weeks ago; the 12' 9" 9wt. I thought it really needed to be overlined with the Rio 10-11-12 Windcutter (which is what the folks at Sage said). When I did that, it would shoot the heavy heads with ease. You guys who said it is a bit heavy in hand, I agree. Not sure if I am ready to trade in my other rods to cover the price tag, but it's a heck of a rod nonetheless.

Just my two cents
James

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Southern,

What don't you like about the T&T posted for sale and how would you contrast the two (Sage.) I would like to buy that T&T, but a little too much $$$ for me right now.

Vinnie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vinnie,
I like the T&T spey, but honestly, I like the Scott rods a little better (read as the folks at Scott are easier to deal with). As far as contrasting the two, the Sage was much stiffer (not always a good thing) than the T&T but did not handle the sinking lines any better in my opinion. I believe they are both great rods, but I prefer the slower, more moderate actions as opposed to the faster tapers (same with my trout rods).

Just my opinion, but Im' still a neophyte at this...

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts