Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Last year i decided to start spey casting and i bought a TCR #9 14ft and a Rio Windcutter multiTip. I started to learn but once a danish friend came with his Scierra tackle and fishing mostly underhand. I gave a try and i liked better than my traditional (and basic) spey i roughly learned.
Now, my question is, is this rod suitable for underhand cast? If so, which lines do you recommend me?

best regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply! but i´m actually surprised about what you said about the line. I tried to make something similar to an underhand cast with it but i felt that the belly was too long so i thought that a shorter belly line is needed to do it, and that is why i was looking to those shorter shooting heads made by Loop, Rio or Scierra.
best regards,

·
Registered
141 Posts
i'm new to all this but....

you could try removing tip 2 from the windcutter. it made a world of difference to me.it's free to try it, so it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haven't test this TCR, but since it is a #9/10 rod, shooting head 10,5-11 meters and 33-35 grams should be good. Start with a floating ones.

Better not change the rod untill you have learned the underhand basics. Then you can decide, if you like another rod more for your style.
IMHO there are no modern rods that could not handle underhand techniques.

·
Registered
99 Posts
SAGE TCR 9140-4 and underhand

The SAGE TCR 9140-4 is an all around salmon rod and works excellent in combination with a 34 - 36 gram shootinghead (11-11.5 m). The rod has a little more flex in the lower part of the rod than the other TCR's. Using your bottom hand to load the rod works very well and will give you an extreemly smooth casting rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crobarr, you are right, i have tried that and there is a big difference for me too.

Bob, i haven´t tried many rods as here nobody speycast, so no double handed rods in the flyshops of the whole country. I bought this Sage because of availability and great price i got.

finnsalmo and Ullsock, thanls again. Definetly i will have to learn much more!!!

best regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts