Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some thoughts on the new sage spey reels in the larger sizes vs lets say a ross cla reel

·
Registered
344 Posts
I haven’t seen the Ross reel but I have the sage Spey 789 model. It’s very well made and feels robust. Unfortunately due to the Covid situation I haven’t been able to use it but in terms of backing capacity, weight, numbered drag system and build quality it will be great on my 13.6 and 14ft rods

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,331 Posts
I'm the opposite. I have not tried the Sage but Have both a CLA5 and a CLA7. Fantastic reels.

Dan

·
Undertaker
1,306 Posts
I probably shouldn't comment for I know little about either option. However, I have become partial to full cage reels, simply because skeleton cages have a nasty tendency to let my running line slip past the bottom post and end up coming out behind the post. Thus, I encourage you to consider a full cage reel. They are also sturdier. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I probably shouldn't comment for I know little about either option. However, I have become partial to full cage reels, simply because skeleton cages have a nasty tendency to let my running line slip past the bottom post and end up coming out behind the post. Thus, I encourage you to consider a full cage reel. They are also sturdier. I'll shut up now.
It’s a very good point and specific Spey reels do benefit from this design. The sage Spey and the now sadly discontinued Lamson ARX are very solid Spey reels because of this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate your input!! I have both reels but will have to sell one, sage has the full cage

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can only speak to Sage Spey, I have 3 of them and I like them a lot. The quality is there and I think the finish of the Bronze model looks very smart. They balance my 12.5ft+ rods really nicely.

·
newcomer to spey casting
170 Posts
I have the Sage Spey and the Sage Trout Spey. They are fantastic reels with a nice drag adjust and excellent build. The full cage is a key feature. I have an extra spool for each. I realized what a difference a full cage made when I picked up a 7/8 new Pflueger Medalist, a basic but sturdy reel I use for occasionally used setups. The Sage Spey and Sage Trout Spey are deluxe reels I can recommend highly without reservation. Get an extra spool. You'll love the reel.

·
Spey Is The Way
919 Posts
Off topic but why did Ross ever stop making the CLA?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've heard several people ask why Ross quit making the CLA, haven't heard an answer yet. I've had a 1.5 ( that I lost ) and still own a CLA 6. Solid, attractive, reliable, and several other superlatives. I really like the classic look to them and they are tough, made for the world of fishing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pondered buying one of the new Sage reels but landed a Ross CLA6 with spare spool from a friend. I took the tried and true over the not so sure, but have friends that have purchased the more budget ended Sage Spey reels and they really like them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the sage spey on a loomis and think they pare very well with each other. Previously had a Ross for trout fishing and after a small problem it fished like a champ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts