Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a sage 6wt 12.6 ft spey rod and was wondering if the sage 3400d (7-8 wt) that i already own would be a good match for this rod.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was going to put rio wwf 5/6 wind cutter on the reel. I think its 110 feet.i have rio clouser line (8 wt)on it now that i believe it is 90 feet,wich seems to be a good match.Will the extra 20ft make a huge difference? I am getting the line and the rod through an auction and am brand new to spey fishing . I dont realy feel like getting a new reel just to try it out.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
S.Binks,

Rio's recomendations say that the 5/6 would be light for the rod. If you have to go up to the 678 to make the rod work (I haven't cast the rod, you might try a search to find what others like on it as far as lines go) I don't think you are going to get it on the reel and have much backing at all. Spey lines eat up a ton of room on a reel, not only because they are long, but also because the Belly's are longer than a WF's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very interesting,i wonder why the guy who i am getting it from used that line(mabe thats why he is selling the rod, it would suck having an un balanced set up).he is throwing the line in the deal so no big deal, ill just go and get the right line.as for the reel how large do i need to go.

thanks

p.s. how do you like this rod.i have been a sage fan for 5 or 6 years now and thats the reason i bought it (well that and the price was right)

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
reel size

3.5" to 4.0"
If I started to tell you which reel to buy there would be 100 or so post, so I will say 3.5" to 4.0":confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts