Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

My wife has kindly said i can have a new rod for an anniversery present, good or what! i've been having a lot of fun withe the Echo SR 5106, with trout between 12-30" and want to upgrade.

I'm looking for a rod in and around the 300 grain mark and looking for people's opinions on the Sage One switch 4 and 5 weights. I'm looking to cast mainly streamers up to 25 grains.

It would be great to hear about people's experiences with these rods, good or bad.

Cheers

WF 2

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I've fished the 5116 one a few times, I myself use a 5126 z-axis, and both are awesome for swinging streamers to trout. I've also tried other #3 & #4 DH rods for trout fishing and my findings and opinions are this. If you plan to fish mostly dries the 3-4wt. Double handers make sense. However, at the end of the day they just don't cut it w/ sink tips, streamers and windy conditions. Some people think a 5wt. DH is overkill for average trout, I fully disagree.

Considering your looking to swing streamers, I would say go w/ the 5116, its so light and will sing w/ a 300-330 grain line. I've experimented with various light spey lines, to be honest the old airflo Tactical steelhead line with removable tip in a #5 is my favorite line for both my 5126 and for when I fished the 5116. That line is hard to find, but they are out there. Its 390 grains with tip, but I never fish it w/ tip attached, instead I remove it and add a poly leader. the line comes out to 320 grains and has a skandit taper.

Good luck, hope this gives you some food for thought.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've cast the Sage one 4116 a little bit and fished it for bull trout in BC. It was lined with a 325grn Skagit Max Short and was fished with light MOW tips.

It was tons of fun to fish with and catch 16-18 inch bull trout. I really only noticed a problem casting larger flies (that I would easily cast with my 7wt). It's a super fun rod for what I was doing, and think that it you'd probably find it fits the bill.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quick search will show

For One 4116
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/search.php?searchid=10819193

For One 5116
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/search.php?searchid=10819257

I've fished the 5116 one a few times, I myself use a 5126 z-axis, and both are awesome for swinging streamers to trout. I've also tried other #3 & #4 DH rods for trout fishing and my findings and opinions are this. If you plan to fish mostly dries the 3-4wt. Double handers make sense. However, at the end of the day they just don't cut it w/ sink tips, streamers and windy conditions. Some people think a 5wt. DH is overkill for average trout, I fully disagree.

Considering your looking to swing streamers, I would say go w/ the 5116, its so light and will sing w/ a 300-330 grain line. I've experimented with various light spey lines, to be honest the old airflo Tactical steelhead line with removable tip in a #5 is my favorite line for both my 5126 and for when I fished the 5116. That line is hard to find, but they are out there. Its 390 grains with tip, but I never fish it w/ tip attached, instead I remove it and add a poly leader. the line comes out to 320 grains and has a skandit taper.

Funny you mentioned the 5wt steelhead tactical. Picked one up last week for my 5116 and love how versatile it is. Throwing sinking tips up to 80 grains (Type 3 through T14) with ease, not to mention great turnover with included floating line and also polyleaders. Sure nice to just fish with one reel and being able to switch up with ease based upon conditions/presentation required.

·
Registered
107 Posts
5wt

I tested the 4wt and the 5wt more than a year ago, and the 5wt was my favorite. A lot of power for such light rod and easy for a newbie like me to use.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've cast the Sage one 4116 a little bit and fished it for bull trout in BC. It was lined with a 325grn Skagit Max Short and was fished with light MOW tips.

It was tons of fun to fish with and catch 16-18 inch bull trout. I really only noticed a problem casting larger flies (that I would easily cast with my 7wt). It's a super fun rod for what I was doing, and think that it you'd probably find it fits the bill.
Agree comments about the 4116 I use it on lakes with a 4wt Rio SSVT which is a brilliant combination. It seems pretty versatile and casts a skagit short 325 but also a airflo skagit switch 360. It's so light and fun to use

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm torn between the two, too- I just casted the 5116, and I have the 7116 - both are awesome rods - I think the 5116 is more versatile than the 4116. But the 4116 should be sweet, too. These ones are just plain easy to cast, and really light but powerful rods.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are these more mini spey's, or true switch rods
I have always treated these as mini spey rods as over 11' they are a bit hard on the arm to cast much single handed. That said the 4116 is the first so called switch rod that is light enough and easy enough to cast single handed as well as being brilliant as a spey rod. For over head I like a WF 6 trout line on it

·
Registered
216 Posts

I had a chance to cast a bunch of Sage rods last year. The one rod that stood out was the 4116. It put a smile on my face. And it wasn't just me. I think everyone who cast that rod really loved it. It had soul and power. George Cook said that he used it for big Alaska bows and thought it was a great tool. If I had a use for it, I would consider getting one. I can't remember what it was lined with. The 4116; in my opinion, is the sweetheart in the Sage two hander lineup.

·
K-Roc
199 Posts
I used to have a Z-axis 5110 and have since moved to a One 6116, for the simple reason that I like to throw the biggest streamers possible. I like flies like the Junk Yard Dog and Galloup's Circus Peanut. The Bullies on the Elk River can be quite big but as a general rule the average size I catch are 20"… It's ironic that I am casting much bulkier flies than when I'm steelhead fishing. The best part of this setup is that it's just as light as my former 5110 but has much more power. I say match the size of the rod you want with the size of fly you want to throw.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Bingo. I own a 5116 One and love the Airflo Tactical Steelhead with it as well. Match made in heaven (and I'm a Nextcast whore...:chuckle:).

As to the 4116 vs 5116. My buddy owns the former and me the latter. Both are sweet rods, but IMHO mine is a little bit versatile being able to handle slightly bigger rainbows/bulltrouts/pinks etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I put a 350 at 31 with 10 ft of intermediate poly leader on the 5116-4 so forgiving can't miss I like burkheimer action made it feel like that bend to cork but lots of reserve power Rod has a lot of balls not a trout rod my opinion trophy trout or small steelhead anything 5- 12 pounds seems fit for this rod think grain windows rather large for a small rod if going to Alaska I would be happy just bring a couple of those always need a backup

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have since tried the new Airflo switch floating line on the 4116. This is an integrated rage line and is very nice on the sage with a 4wt 270gr.
They also do an integrated switch steamer line which seems to be like a one piece skagit switch. I have not tried it yet but would imagine a320gr would be a good match for casting larger streamers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts